Options for wireless surround speakers

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Options for wireless surround speakers
« on: 23 May 2014, 03:15 pm »
Does anyone have experience with wireless surround sound speakers.  I am trying to help a friend and he was wondering if in-wall speakers existed that were wireless and battery powered.

I realize the batteries would need to be charged requiring 120VAC power so battery powered doesn't make that much sense.

Any recommendations?  He currently has Polk in-wall L/C/R powered from a receiver.  Now how to do the rears without signal or speaker wires?

Thank you

Tubo

Re: Options for wireless surround speakers
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2014, 03:34 pm »
Your friend will need,
1. An AVR that has preamp outputs for the surround channels. Unfortunately most AVR's have pre-outs only for the front channels, if they have them at all. Flagship AVR's will have them as do preamp/processors.
2. A stereo wireless transmitter and receiver such as those sold by Audioengine.
3. Powered speakers such as those sold by Audioengine. He will need power for the speakers and, unfortunately, a wire connects both speakers (since the amp is located in only one of the pair). Alternatively, use passive speakers and a stereo amp.

Battery-powered speakers are probably not a practical option. Recharging them would be a hassle.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2014, 03:37 pm »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-universal-wireless-rear-speaker-kit-black/8275528.p?id=1171058476489&skuId=8275528

This is the closest thing I know of, you send the signal from a receiver to the adapter and then there is a little amp that would need to plug into the wall back by the speakers.  so you would need outlets run under each speaker and then run the wire up the wall or through the wall to the speaker.  Batteries really wouldn't work well for this application, you would have to charge them all the time and they wouldn't output much power.  Tell your friend to nut up and get a contractor to run wires.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2014, 03:46 pm »

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2014, 03:49 pm »
Guys, thank you so much. 

I forgot AudioEngine.  I love their stuff.  I also had no idea Best Buy had the wireless speaker kit.

Sweet stuff  :thumb: