DD processor or AV processor help

bear-hifi

« on: 23 Aug 2004, 05:28 pm »
My question is can I use an AV that has Pre-Out as my digital processor or should I use a Preamp with DD?  I have a two channel set up and I was going to run my cd player to my tube pre amp and amp and then use an AV or preamp with DD to run another amps and surround speakers. Would it cheaper/better to pick up a used AV with pre outs or find a used preamp with DD?

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2004, 06:15 pm »
What do you mean by "AV"?
A list of your equipment will help too.

bear-hifi

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2004, 07:20 pm »
Audio video reciver with pre outs instead of a pre amp with DD?

ET planer speakers
Tube pre amp (2channel)
White Audio A250 amps (2channel)
Arcam CD73

I plan to add a 3-channel amp and rear, center speakers for HT use.

Thanks

Frank

MaxCast

Re: DD processor or AV processor help
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2004, 02:10 pm »
Quote from: bear-hifi
Would it cheaper/better to pick up a used AV with pre outs or find a used preamp with DD?

This may be the easy question to answer.  AV receivers will be the cheeper way to go vs. seperates.  The newer digital ampped receivers with preouts may be the way to go.

The harder question is how to integrate the two.  I would imagine you will be running the receivers preouts into your 2 ch preamp.  You will have two volume controls unless you get a true pass through from AV to your amps, then you use the AV's volume control.

Hope this helps.

gonefishin

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2004, 01:57 pm »
I'm assuming  that you have your 2 ch preamp...and your 2 ch amp...that you would like to incorporate into your HT system. I have a similar set-up right now. When using HT, I control the volume by the one volume knob on the HT receiver...but...even in HT mode...I use my 300B 2 ch tube amps...I only have one set of speakers that I use for both HT and 2 ch.

The important thing for me was that my HT stuff was totally taken out of the system when I'm listening to music...using the 2 channel only.  Also, Ithere was no way I was going to put any additional electronics (such as an input selector into my two channel components either)  Here is how I have my system hooked up.

The HT receiver has to have pre-outs (so you by-pass the internal HT receivers amplifier) First...you will hook up all the surround speakers and center speaker (if you so choose) to the receiver. Now you'll connect your 2 channel system into the Ht system. You'll hook a patch cord from the main pre-outs on your HT receiver...hook this to you preamp...either at the preamps Ht bypass inputs...or into an input. The rest of your two channel system will remain the same. Your amp hooked to your 2 channel preamp...and your speakers hooked to the 2 channel amps.

Now you'll hook your combo cd/dvd player up. Use the multichannel main (r) (l) analog (rca) connection to go to your 2 ch preamp...this will be used for listening to music. Now you'll hook the cd/dvd player to the HT receiver...use the digital out on the cd/dvd player to hook to your HT receiver (either digital coax or digital optical cable)

Now...when you want to listen to music...you'll use your two channel stuff just as you would have before...with no concern of the HT stuff. when you want to listen to HT, using the receiver. You'll have to turn on your two channel amps...then select aux (or whatever) on the 2 channel preamp...turn the volume all the way up...or near all the way up on your two channel pre (wherever you ended u level matching everything) Then...just turn on the receiver and select the appropriate input for the dig input of the DVD.

Adding to what I've done above...I'd have to agree with maxcast that buying one of the newer DD recievers with pre-outs would be an easier way to get home theater processing and built in amplifiers to power your "other" speakers.    

hope this helps,

dan