1.7 to 3.7

michaelkingdom

1.7 to 3.7
« on: 20 May 2014, 12:04 am »
My room is 12x26. Can I do 3.7s? Also, what do I stand to gain with the step up?

Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: 1.7 to 3.7
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 02:56 pm »
The 3.7's will work but you may need some bass traps in the corners or the room if the speakers will be on the short wall. 

The 3.7's are a huge step up in sound compared to the 3.7's.  I recently compared the 3.7i's to the 1.7's and the 3.7i's had a slightly darker sound, better bass, more resolution and better sounding treble and detail.  The sound stage was larger as well.  The 3.7i's sounded better in every aspect.

I currently own a pair of 1.6's and plan on upgrading to the 3.7's sometime in the next 2 years.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 08:55 pm »
Yes, you'll be fine.
What you'll get is the same basic house sound but just more of it.
Do it and don't look back!

satie

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 08:58 pm »
The 3.7 are a decent fit for your room, particularly if you can pull them far from the front wall - at least 5ft, and put them near the side walls (about 1' from the sidewalls) in a short wall arrangement. Move your listening seat further back towards the back wall.  If you can pull the speakers even further (start with 10') then you can get even greater soundstage and more precise imaging.

The ribbon tweeter on the 3.7 will easily outdo the 1.7. It is simply a better speaker, and where you can fit a 1.7 you can fit a 3.7.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2014, 01:08 am »
It's a pretty big step up in everything.  I would highly suggest the move up.

dpmolino

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 07:21 am »
While a long time reader here, I have never posted. However having just moved from 1.7s to 3.7s, I will add a cautionary comment. While I agree the 3.7s are wonderful and a step up, I am left questioning myself on the value of the improvement vs. the additional cost. To do over again, I think I would have used the $s on better equipment with the 1.7s. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 08:24 am »
That is a very good point.
They will show up the weakest link.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2014, 01:03 pm »
   The room size dictates the size of speaker. Having a 12ft wide room may be an issue for the larger 3.7. Not saying it will not work just saying the more room you have the better it is for Maggies.
    The 3.7 tweeter is a step up for sure however may not provide the performance with limited width. If it were me it would be 1.7 and a pair of subs, one in front one in rear of room.
    Now guys please do not jump on me that a small room works. It does just not the same as a larger room.  :thumb:

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2014, 03:19 pm »
   The room size dictates the size of speaker. Having a 12ft wide room may be an issue for the larger 3.7. Not saying it will not work just saying the more room you have the better it is for Maggies.
    The 3.7 tweeter is a step up for sure however may not provide the performance with limited width. If it were me it would be 1.7 and a pair of subs, one in front one in rear of room.
    Now guys please do not jump on me that a small room works. It does just not the same as a larger room.  :thumb:

charles

I agree with this to some extent.  I was in a similar situation on deciding whether to go with the 1.6's and the 3.6's.  I went with the 1.6's (my wife told me to buy the 3.6's) because I did not feel that my gear was up to the level of the 3.6's.   I deeply regret this decision.  I eventually upgraded my whole system and now my 1.6's are the weak link.  At the time I was using an Adcom GFR 700 AVR at 270wpc and a Music Hall Cd player.  Eventually I upgraded to AVA gear and a Parasound A21 amp.  Now I am using a Pass X250 amp, a BAT VK-51se preamp and an AVA tube DAC.

My advice, don't look back with regret and get the 3.7i's.  Upgrade your other gear as time allows.  And who knows, you may just love the sound of the 3.7's with your current gear.

michaelkingdom

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2014, 09:35 am »
Thanks for all the responses. I'll start saving for 3.7is and upgrade when it is practical.