Please, stop me from buying Salk streamer player.

Austin08

Please, stop me from buying Salk streamer player.
« on: 18 May 2014, 05:50 am »
Hello,

My main listening system is analog system but I do listen to digital streaming late at night quite often. Oppo 105 was my only source and my usb dac (I like Jrive more than Oppo app due to its flexibility). All my music files were ripped from my cds and convert them to flac. The whole digital thing sounds pleasing but i still feel the sound was a bit thin, cold and less definition in lower region compare to my analog system. On top of that, I don't like to turn on/off my TV everytime I start my computer to open Jriver. So I started a new Quest for a "better" Dac and music server that can tailor or replica the sound of my analog system's sound but also convenience and easy to use. As of now, my Quest for "better" DAC has come to an end. I think found what I were looking for. My new pride is Conrad Johnson HD3 - a warm seductive lust sound with authority bass, much richer tone and fuller body. Somebody must say that I am crazy to spend that much money for a 24/96 max dac with only 1 usb input. Well, to my ear this dac is one of the best for red book format that I have ever heard. With thousands of song in 16/48 flac format this CJ dac fit me perfectly. (I don't think I will buy into higher rez or dsd later either. Vinyl is my "highest rez"..lol)

So what do you think? Are there any other reason not to buy Salk streamer player? Is it overkill in my case?

Thanks,
Quan

ernest787

Re: Please, stop me from buying Salk streamer player.
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2014, 01:34 pm »
There is only one thing keeping me from Buying one at this point, and that is just the need for something to be able to steam spotify as well. I know jim said it was something he was looking at trying to incorporate. If he is able to then I think I'm with you. It seems like the perfect solution for delivering digital music. Much like yourself I mainly listen to vinyl but would like the option to have my digital media on call whenever I need/want it.

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2014, 02:26 pm »
I wish I could tell you a good reason not to buy one, but I can't because I ordered one last week  :thumb:. For me it's the perfect solution. Having all my music available on a local device that I don't have to stream wirelessly to (like the Airport Express it is replacing) is exactly what I was looking for. The 2TB of storage is all I personally will ever need, my personal library of ripped CDs is now only just under 500GB. If I  buy too much more music, my wife will start having second thoughts. I just hope the wait is not TOO long, but I know Salk quality takes time and is worth it, plus my unit is a custom one with S/PDIF outputs. The price is comparable or better than some of the other solutions out there, the main one I saw was the Bluesound ecosystem of devices. But then, Jim's unit looks much more elegant and well built. Plus, it fits in well with my system, which is Salk/AVA based. It just makes me feel better to support businesses that are more local to me. Maybe I should stop now, I'm doing the opposite of what you asked...

Cornelis

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2014, 06:19 pm »
Earnest787,

Yeah, I love how the vinyl sound and that is what i listen all day. OTOH, at night, after a long beat up day at work, I would like lay on my couch with a couple drink, set play list, hit play and let the music bring me to another universe. Like you said, it is good to have option. I am sure if you ask Jim, he will come up with something for your spotify.

Cornelis,

Thanks for your discouragement, Now I am more convince that the Salkstreamer is the right choice for me. lol   

Gzerro

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2014, 03:42 pm »
Another vote to just buy it here! Its a great value and you already have the DAC in hand.

Where you do you plan to store your music files?

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 03:50 pm »
Another vote to just buy it here! Its a great value and you already have the DAC in hand.

Where you do you plan to store your music files?

Gzerro,

I will store my music in the build in 2 tb hd inside the streamer. That is enough for me.

Quan

Q3Di

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2014, 06:01 pm »
I was in love with Salk StreamPlayer design after a couple email with Jim about the new StreamPlayer. I would vote for it. The only reason not to buy Salk is when you stop listening to music or prohibited to buy from Salk. LOL. I know you are not falling in one of those two categories. So put your name on wait list for a well built streamer.

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2014, 08:48 pm »
As a Salkstream owner, I'm sure it will meet your needs and it not overkill.
What I like best is the sound quality. It easily beat my MacBook Pro/amarra/off ramp 4 source.
The 2nd thing I like most is the ease of use. It has changed the way I listen to music for the better.

Austin08

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2014, 08:57 pm »
As a Salkstream owner, I'm sure it will meet your needs and it not overkill.
What I like best is the sound quality. It easily beat my MacBook Pro/amarra/off ramp 4 source.
The 2nd thing I like most is the ease of use. It has changed the way I listen to music for the better.

Thanks for your "discouragement". Lol, look like Salkstream is the way to go. There is Aurallic Aries debut now but the clam shell style just chase me away.

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 09:30 pm »
Where can I find more info on this product?  :scratch:

Austin08

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2014, 09:41 pm »
Where can I find more info on this product?  :scratch:

There were some talks earlier last year. This thread discussion is the most recently.