1 versus 2 ??

WBimmer

1 versus 2 ??
« on: 13 May 2014, 01:05 am »
So I have a BDP-1 and BDA-1.

Bryston now has a -2 for each of these and still sells the original -1 model as well.

I understand the differences between them, but I'm wondering why Bryston would have a successor to the original and still sell the original.

Surely this doesn't make sense to manufacture two versions of the same thing and I would have thought the -1 would have become obsolete by now.

So if the -1 is still available, then why would anyone that owns the -1 want the -2.

I'm curious how others think on this topic??

Wayne.

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: 1 versus 2 ??
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2014, 09:42 am »
Maybe they bought enough parts to continue to make the 1. Have the parts, may as well use them? Reach a larger markets with different price points?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2014, 10:25 am »
Hi Folks

Yes it was a decision based on price points and feature set. 

The BDA1 is $1995 the BDA-2 DAC is $2395.  The BDA1 DAC does not have ASCYNC USB the BDA-2 DAC does. The BDA-2 DAC uses a newer design AKM DAC the BDA-1 uses a Crystal DAC,

The BDP-1 is $2195 the BDP 2 is $2995.  The BDP 2 has a much faster processor, many more inputs and internal USB drive capability.

So depending on the specific system requirement it gives our customers a choice.

james

bjski

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2014, 03:25 pm »
I am still using my BDP-1. I did change from my BDA-1 to a BDA-2. I believe the DAC is a personal decision and for my stereo the sound was an upgrade. If you feel a change is needed then demo the BDA-2 along with any other DAC and decide if a change is warranted.

I put a deposit down on a BDP-2 last week. I decided I could use the features in a BDP-2. I figure by fall the new firmware will be released and maybe the Bryston BOT.

WBimmer

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2014, 11:40 pm »
So what about software between the BDP-1 and BDP-2??

With the extra horsepower of the -2, will there be features that will only work on the -2 and be turned off on the -1??

I can see that if the same software is running on both machines, then the -1 may hold back the ability of the software to achieve it's full potential, given the -1 is slower and has less memory.

If there will be a difference in features, then this may be the justification to get the -2.

Wayne.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2014, 11:43 pm »
So what about software between the BDP-1 and BDP-2??

With the extra horsepower of the -2, will there be features that will only work on the -2 and be turned off on the -1??

I can see that if the same software is running on both machines, then the -1 may hold back the ability of the software to achieve it's full potential, given the -1 is slower and has less memory.

If there will be a difference in features, then this may be the justification to get the -2.

Wayne.

Yes we are planning on introducing additional products like the BOT which will work much better on the BDP-2.

james