Electra Tube Connector Question

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Electra Tube Connector Question
« on: 12 May 2014, 08:39 pm »
The male studs on the speaker wires do not fit snugly into the female connectors on in the speaker cabinet. One is so loose it pulls halfway out just from the weight of the wire.  Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this?

Mike

Danny Richie

Re: Electra Tube Connector Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2014, 08:48 pm »
The male studs on the speaker wires do not fit snugly into the female connectors on in the speaker cabinet. One is so loose it pulls halfway out just from the weight of the wire.  Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this?

Mike

I have seen one or two like this. If you want I can send you some more. Just send those back to me and I'll get them to replace them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2014, 09:38 pm »
Thanks Danny,

Not sure which part to send back.

I have some male studs that have not been put on speaker cables yet so I checked all 9 of my speakers with tube connectors and the studs fit loosely in all of them. More so some than others but loose none the less.

I wouldn't mind replacing the male studs on the speaker cables for some with a larger diameter but I don't really want to pry the female connectors out of the cabinets.

I checked and banana plugs fit snugly.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2014, 09:43 pm »
Do they fit all the way in? Sometime it takes that last little bit of insertion to really hold them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2014, 09:56 pm »
Yes,  They fit all the way in.

Maybe a product improvement suggestion for Electra would be some type of expanding stud, along the lines of a locking banana plug.

Would putting a small piece of something at the back of the stud to increase it's diameter work? The first things that come to my mind would be electrical tape or a piece of foil.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2014, 10:20 pm »
I have been talking to them about that.

If you are inserting the female part into a 7/16" hole then you have to lightly tap them in with a hammer or something. The tight hole puts some added pressure on the whole thing and tightens up the squeeze. If the hole is too large though and the female part is just loosely glued in then it looses that last bit of tightness.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2014, 10:33 pm »
That's probably it.  I usually use a 7/16" bit in a hand drill to cut the holes and the connectors slide in pretty easily so they are not getting the extra squeeze.  I have tried wrapping the connector with electrical tape, like with an over sized port tube opening,  but the tape just bunched up. 

May be able to remove the connectors enough to build the holes up some. will have to givr that a try.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2014, 11:08 pm »
Ah, that's probably the problem.

Slide them out of the hole and wipe in something that will dry hard and build up on the inside of the hole. Some of the truck bed liner coating would be good. Paint it in with a small brush. Do several layers and let it dry.

When I insert them it is if they aren't even going to fit into the 7/16" hole. It's just too tight. But they do tap in and when they do then they tighten up and put some squeeze on the male stud.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2014, 12:16 am »
Thanks.  Next time I'll undersize the bit a little, either a 25/64" or 10mm bit, and see how that works.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2014, 04:19 am »
One of the  male plugs on my  OB7's  is  like this too.  My external c/o's are on the ground so  pulling out is not an issue .  I was actually thinking of  just  giving the plug a big of a squeeze with a   pair of pliers near the shoulder   to try and  tighten it up  just a bit.
If I ever get around to ordering thje wire to make  a pair of cables, I'll order some new male   plugs at the same time

-jay

BK_856er

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2014, 03:58 am »
FWIW, I soldered mine with the males ALL the way in, so there was no gap, unlike the pics in the sticky install guide that show a small gap.  That last little bit gives some additional tension/security.  Until I figure out the speaker permanent home I'm using some nice screw-terminal banana plugs from Parts Express on the cable ends.  Those buggers are a tight fit!  Granted I'm missing some of the alleged advantage of the Electra connector doing this, but it gives me more options right now.  Nice that the Electra connectors are dimensioned to accept male banana plugs.

BK