SOLD: 2x Hypex Ncore 400 with SMPS600 mono blocks

6rs

SOLD: 2x Hypex Ncore 400 with SMPS600 mono blocks
« on: 10 May 2014, 07:35 pm »
Hi
Up for sale are two mono blocks that each harbours the Hypex Ncore 400 amplifier module fed by a SMPS600 power supply. They come in an chinese-manufactured aluminium case with an engraved Ncore label on the front. Loudspeaker terminals are WBT Nextgen copper. Additional wire used is from Duelund. XLR input connectors are from Neutrik. I have used these modules only shortly.
They operate flawlessly. I have not modified anything.
I ask for SOLD. Shipping and PayPal fees are to be covered by the buyer. Items are in Switzerland. Shipping will be around 50 USD, depending on the location of the prospective buyer. I have 100% positive feedback on Audiogon (b_mueller), Headfi (6RS) and ebay (b-o_mueller).
Please do not hesitate to contact me for further questions.
Cheers, Bruno

« Last Edit: 15 May 2014, 04:23 pm by 6rs »

6rs

Re: FS: 2x Hypex Ncore 400 with SMPS600 mono blocks, 1400$ both
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 09:49 am »
Input connectors are XLR only. To connect non-balanced sources, I have been making a Cinch>XLR cable as suggested in the Ncore400 manual (using Neutrik XLR male connectors and Switchcraft RCA plugs, and Nuforce Focused Field wire). I can add these for another 50$ if interested.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2014, 12:06 pm by 6rs »

boffellid

Re: FS: 2x Hypex Ncore 400 with SMPS600 mono blocks, 1300$ both
« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2014, 03:24 pm »
PM sent.

ClefChef

Re: SOLD: 2x Hypex Ncore 400 with SMPS600 mono blocks
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2014, 11:09 pm »
Oh boy...

6rs

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2014, 07:07 am »
Oh boy...
Hi ClefChef
What did you want to express with your message?
Cheers, Bruno

Edit: I just realised you also have Ncores to sell. So I guess you are referring to that? While your asking price is higher, the assembly and casework of your mono blocks is indeed much nicer!
« Last Edit: 15 May 2014, 11:00 am by 6rs »

ClefChef

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2014, 02:21 pm »
Indeed I was "exhaling" about the quality of assembly - it is quite awful. I don't see the ground connection - the chassis is "floating". I hope it's not you who did the assembly... :wink:  I am expressing my opinion since it does not affect the sale anymore.

My NCores are no longer for sale, BTW.

6rs

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2014, 03:13 pm »
The amplifier operate well, there is no hum. I am sure they sound the same compared to yours, just at 600$ less.
A more decent way of acting would have been to notify me of any presumed assembly errors per PM, so I could correct them if they are indeed real. I will still do so now.

ClefChef

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2014, 03:40 pm »
Here's the list of corrections needed:

Connect "house" ground to the chassis and all other ground connections to the "star" point (usually it is the grounded standoff on the SMPS600).

Install On/Off switch. (Simple toggle switch above AC receptacle will do)

When soldering connections (signal or especially power AC) use shrink tubing - it prevents mechanical failure in the form of wires snagging off at soldering points.

Try to keep signal and power lines separately. Use cable mounts (adhesive) and cable ties.

And last but not least - watch Youtube clips on soldering basics - it helped me!  :thumb:

6rs

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2014, 04:13 pm »
Thank you for the comments! The reference for me is the Hypex NC400_datasheet, page 13, Figure 2, preferred connection scheme.
- So, I agree on the "house" ground. However, there is no"star" point listed at SMPS600
- On/off switch is not really needed in my opinion as I leave the amps always on, and many owners do.
- About Shrink tubing... the opinions on that differ. Kondo amps for example have none.
- Agreed on the signal and power lines. I guess the best would be to shorten the signal wire to route it the best possible way.
- The soldering points are good. I doubt you can judge from the images anyway.

ClefChef

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2014, 05:18 pm »
"star" ground on SMPS is the brass standoff (all others are plastic). You have to shave the anodizing off the chassis under that brass standoff to make a good chassis connection. Solder all other ground wires to the tab and put that tab under the SMPS mounting screw that attaches that brass standoff. And yes, remove that ugly "grounding" lug on the back panel - it does absolutely nothing. plug the hole with plastic cover (0.05 c at your local hardware store)

You have to shorten signal cable significantly. I would simply remove the outer jacket leaving the shielding (it is not really necessary if the connection is short), and route the signal in the shortest path, avoiding crossing with power supply lines.

Regarding shrink tubing - in addition to securing wires to their solder points it also adds elastic barrier that prevents wires from snagging off (in your case it would be the most immediate concern since your wires are not secured anywhere). We would have to wait until the level of assembly reaches that of KONDO... :green:

Post the pictures after you're done.  And thanks for removing the old pics - they were disturbing  :green:

6rs

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2014, 09:51 pm »
Well...good luck for all your sales!
I can understand why your friend, the musician, politely refused the gear that you so diligently and selflessly prepared for him.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2014, 03:21 pm by 6rs »

ClefChef

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2014, 03:58 pm »
I can understand why your friend, the musician, politely refused the gear that you so diligently and selflessly prepared for him.

Good for you. And thanks for reading all my post - hope it was entertaining.