Best way to integrate oppo 105d, modright ls100 and HT AVR.

soundofrockets

As the subject suggests - what's the best way to integrate the three pieces of equipment.  I am trying to achieve HT and 2 channel setup in the same system.  Right now I have HDMI from from oppo to avr for ht setup and balanced out to ls 100.  Any other way to achieve better setup?

Skiman

Re: Best way to integrate oppo 105d, modright ls100 and HT AVR.
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2014, 06:07 pm »
What is your AVR? Are you happy with it's power amp section, particularly in two channel mode? The best improvement I can think of would require the addition of a second stereo power amp or pair of monoblocks that have switchable inputs (balanced and unbalanced). I recently added a pair of Emotiva XPR-1 that have this feature. In this configuration, it really is two separate systems. I have my Oppo 105 and preamp located between the front main speakers, with short cables for stereo, and a long HDMI cable connected to my prepro/multichannel power amp in a separate equipment rack. But this arrangement is only possible because of the ability of the Emotiva monoblocks switchable inputs.

If your AVR has preouts you could add amplification thereby using it as a prepro. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2014, 06:27 pm »
I have onkyo (model escapes me know) avr with pre outs.  So right now I have balanced stereo outs from oppo to ls100 in and from ls out to the emotiva xpa1 - this is the balanced chain.  In addition I have HDMI from oppo to the avr and from the avr preouts to the xpa1 - this is the imbalanced chain.  I flip the switch on the xpa1s to balanced and unbalanced as needed.  What do u think?

srb

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2014, 07:13 pm »
The Modwright LS100 has a Theater Bypass input.  Plug the L/R preamp outputs of the Onkyo AVR into the Theater Bypass inputs on the LS100, then to listen to the AVR just select the HTBP input on the LS100 front panel or remote.

Steve

soundofrockets

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2014, 07:33 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Does that mean that I take out the balanced chain completely?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2014, 07:41 pm »
As far as I know, the LS100 is not really fullly Balanced - they put the connectors in for convenience. Also it reverses phase - make sure you switch positive and negative at some point.

I have the Lexicon MC12 (no HDMI), the Oppo 95, the LS100, and the Emotiva monoblocks as well. I let the Oppo do all decoding. I run the main stereo outputs to the HT Bypass on the MW, and the Multi channel outputs to the Lex. If I want to listen to Multi channel, i push the HT Bypass on the MW and use the Lex as the controller. For stereo or if I want to listen to 2 channel on a video, I just use the MW and leave the Lexicon off.

I have the speaker wires switched for phase at the back of the speakers.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2014, 07:48 pm »
Does that mean that I take out the balanced chain completely?

No, the balanced chain is preserved just as you have it now - 105D stereo balanced outputs > LS100 balanced inputs > LS100 balanced outputs > XPA1 balanced inputs.

Using the Theater Bypass input for the unbalanced L/R AVR output bypasses the LS100 volume control and is a lot more convenient that rear mounted toggle switches on the rear of each amplifier.  One might argue that you are introducing an extra set of interconnects in the unbalanced path, but I doubt you will hear any difference in sound while gaining convenience.

Steve

Skiman

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2014, 10:22 pm »
Do you believe cables and/or speaker wire can make a difference? How far is your equipment located from our main speakers? Because my rack is at the back of my room, I have 'ordinary' Blue Jeans balanced cables from my prepro into my monoblocks (located next to my main speakers), but, by locating my Oppo and preamp between my main speakers, am able to use short lengths of expensive (for me, anyway) Electracable RCA interconnects and Electracable speaker wire for stereo.

That Modright looks sweet! I'm changing to a Dodd tube preamp. In the above configuration, it doesn't require a HT bypass.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2014, 12:01 am »
You got the LS100 back. How does everything sound.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2014, 02:43 am »
Do you believe cables and/or speaker wire can make a difference? How far is your equipment located from our main speakers? Because my rack is at the back of my room, I have 'ordinary' Blue Jeans balanced cables from my prepro into my monoblocks (located next to my main speakers), but, by locating my Oppo and preamp between my main speakers, am able to use short lengths of expensive (for me, anyway) Electracable RCA interconnects and Electracable speaker wire for stereo.

Just about everything makes a difference or has an effect.

soundofrockets

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2014, 03:52 am »
I was able to connect the volumes knob (with some help and instructions from Modwright people).  But then I had some power issues which resolved by itself.  Not sure what happened there.  But everything is fine now.  I have balanced oppo out to balanced ls100 in and then out to balanced inputs of the emotiva xpa1.  The oppo is also connected to the onkyo via HDMI and I a utilizing the unbalanced preouts to the same main xpa1 unbalanced in.  So I liked the sound I get via the unbalanced chain.  Maybe the balanced chain needs little more break in time.