A simple way to find the best amps for your Maggies

oneartist

After much reading and following advice, I think I have arrived at a good plan for finding the right amps. For me, this all started when I first got an Oppo 105. After abandoning my Denon 3805 AVR (as suggested) I bridged an old NAD 2200 to a seldom used Maggie MMG-C - seldom used because the Denon kept blowing fuses. The MMG-C sounded unbelievable for a $300 speaker using Oppo's analog outs to the NAD. Ater much searching, I've accumulated two 3.6's, a MC-3, two MC-1s and my old MMG-W's plus a Rythmik plate amp. I just bought my 10th used amp and that is the reason for this post.

We read reviews and try to refine our searches. For most of us it's not possible to hear everything we're interested in before we buy. I think I'm finding a way to overcome this problem. If you want to hear a certain amp, just  buy it used at the best price you can negociate. I also bought a Neqx HDP Express II for speaker and room correction. I plan to set-up my 3.6's using equal volume level controls and start A/B testing all my amps. I'll also run test using the two way MC1's. I'll keep the best and sell the rest. If you want to hear an amp just buy it and try it. It's really pretty simple :|

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: A simple way to find the best amps for your Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2014, 11:56 pm »
I went the used route and got great deals on my Pass Labs X250 amp and BAT VK 51se tube preamp that I run with my Maggies.  Tubes and maggies=heaven!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2014, 12:05 am »
Flipping gear is fun, I can't deny that one.
I would say get into big tube monoblocks and see what you think.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2014, 02:26 am »
Get the biggest honkin' McIntosh or Bryston amp you can afford.

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2014, 02:31 am »
Maggies need headroom to sing.

I use Bryston 7Bsst2 monos with my 3.7s....

I use a Convergent SL1 Renassaince Pre w/ Phono
for my pre.....

Maggies like a muscular amp with a tube pre......

This has been a wonderful combo for me, although
I'm curious about 2 amps with 3.7s

Pass XA160.5
Convergent's new drive anything JL5

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2014, 03:32 am »
I’ve used two amps with my 3.7s – a Pass X350 (which left nothing to be desired, but it is fun to flip gear) and a VAC Phi 300.1 (following the addition of a crossover which directs the grunt work to the subs). Ah, I can’t deny coveting a pair of XA160.5s (but I’m not even remotely unsatisfied – tubes and Maggies do work well together). My only point here is that there are many paths to bliss, some of which are far less expensive than most of what’s been mentioned so far.