Use of Ikea Expedite Shelf to Build H-Frame Open Baffle OB Sub Array!

zoltm2001

Thanks to the recent advocacy and message exchange with couple gents here, you guys really get me excited in building my own OB Sub for the various panel I am playing with. While I was researching in to those H-frame and W-frame cabinet, this Ikea Expedit shelf came into my radar screen. I use quite a bunch of this as my interior decor.

My current plan is to use the 2x2 as the base frame, I can then fit say 2 or 3 or even 4 OB sub drivers (e.g. OB SW-12-16FR) into the frame. Or use the single unit as base and stack say 3 1x1 to form 1 3x1 array.

Please comment on the validity of this thoughts and comments as needed with your experience. This seems to me cut down a lot of DIY work on cabinet building. Making the mounting panel is a lot more manageable.

Thanks and best.

sts9fan

Personally I would not do it.  They are basically made of corrugated paperboard. 

You won't be able to really screw anything into it. 

srb

And I would imagine they would resonate like a drum.  In that respect, maybe they would be good in a surface mount tranducer/exciter application?  Don't know if they've been tried in the "NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN!" topic.

Thanks for the photo.  Ikea ..... furniture to pass down for generations!

Steve

mcgsxr

Easy enough to try, but I'd likely pass.

A flat sheet of mdf is all you need to try out OB, and refine from there.