OB acoustic treatments

rockdrummer

OB acoustic treatments
« on: 7 May 2014, 05:38 pm »
Hello GR people.  I have been reading up a lot on acoustic treatments. I know first reflection points are going to be tough for me to placed.  As one wall in my main listening area is windows.  So shades and drapes are what will be on one side, but I am confused about what to put on the front wall. 

Specifically, I am wondering opinions about diffusers behind OB speakers.  I would like to try a skyline QRD behind my super v's when I finish them.  I read that OB speakers like diffusers behind them.  Is that true?  I will also build superchunk bass traps for the front corners. 

I am wondering what Super V owners have done that they really like.  I will have a TV in the way also so I can't do anything like PDR and eBag.  I believe they build a large diffuser (similar?) for the center of the front wall behind their super V ob speakers.

Thanks for your time.

Ben

Danny Richie

Re: OB acoustic treatments
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2014, 10:03 pm »
I have large tube traps in the corners of the room. I have foam panels along the back wall. And an easy and quick to remove set of diffusers that can be stood up in front of my big screen.

If I really want to get serious I have free standing diffusers that I can stand up along the front wall and just to the outside of each speaker. They make further improvements, but I seldom add them.

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2014, 05:21 pm »
What are those blue amps?  They are stunning.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2014, 06:21 pm »
What are those blue amps?  They are stunning.

280 watt Dodd Audio mono-blocks. Here are some old pics:

Architect7

• Sound Quality Addict
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2014, 07:32 pm »
280 watt monoblock tubes!!!  Amazing!

Back on topic, when I had my RAAL and SEAS Excel OBs up and running in a narrow room, I had to set up acoustic treatment at first reflection points on the side walls because the RAALs horizontal dispersion was sooooooooo wide.  Having the same issue with my Aurum Cantus line arrays...

Edit: Forgot to add that I usually try to make sure the area behind the speakers is treated to prevent late reflections. 
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 06:50 am by Architect7 »