My newish Super-7s

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
My newish Super-7s
« on: 6 May 2014, 11:38 pm »
After having and loving Vandersteen 5As for 3 years, it was time for me to move along.  Thanx to a recommendation from Jeffrey Glowacki of Sonic Craft, a friend and I drove to Albuquerque to listen to and retrieve a silver-metallic pair of Super-7s.  They sounded plenty good enough to bring home, and since then I bought a pair of Coincident Frankenstein II 300B-based 8-Watt SET poweramps.

The combination sounds QUITE good, altho I'll be having Sonic Craft do a bunch of parts upgrade in the amps soon.  One thing I did not like about the S-7's appearance was that swoopy foot, so this weekend I built a new pair of stands.  I have a bunch of 1-1/2"-square aluminum tubing and was going to use that but decided on 3/8-by-1-1/2" steel strap.  Bought the stuff and had it cut into the right lengths.  My friend and I drilled holes, he welded the front assembly together, and I drilled and tapped the spike holes.  I used 2-piece, 1-1/2" spikes from Sound-O-City/OregonDV...
http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm
...but for 3/8"-course-thread screws.  I used black allen-head screws with jam nuts.

I moved the speakers maybe 8" towards the front wall and rotated them to point directly at the listener.

The sonic results after a short listen are a more-even...seamless...soundstage laterally.  Lucky me.   :D

DeeJayBump

Re: My newish Super-7s
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2014, 02:13 am »
Congrats on a fantastic-looking (and sounding) pair of speakers. Nice 300B amp, too.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2014, 03:11 am »
ok, you got to tell more about the double bass array on your wall  :green:  :o

cody69

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2014, 10:45 am »
Very nice. Once you've had time to form an opinion on these, would you mind commenting on the difference in sound quality you are hearing vs the 5As?
I've been thinking about replacing the Vandy's in my main listening room, and these are one of the speakers I've been considering.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2014, 02:51 pm »
Very nice - the Super 7's are among the best speakers I've ever heard.

nickd

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2014, 03:01 pm »
a bit jealous right now. :green:

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2014, 04:05 pm »
Very nice,    I especially liked that  metallic silver/black grilled pair of S7's  since the first time  I saw the pics posted.   That color combo just looks  great and  I bet it is  even  sharper in person.  I'm sure they sound wonderful  being driven by those amps...
Yup,  lucky  you   :thumb:

-jay

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2014, 06:59 pm »
ok, you got to tell more about the double bass array on your wall  :green:  :o

I call them my SuperSubs. The cabinets are simple--3/4" MDF, single layer but for the 2-layer front panel and the bottom. 

The 2X2 peglegs couple the front and back walls to reduce vibration, while the back walls are anchored to the front wall of the music room.

Drivers are (discontinued) Sonic Craft 12" woofers, with pairs wired in parallel and then those pairs in series.  Wiring is 14g. 4-conductor (twisted-quad) home-AC 'romex' per pole for a net-8g. cable.  They're driven by a Crown CDi2000 class-D poweramp rated at 250WPC into 8.  I use its digital frontend for filtering, etc.  The lowpass filter is set at something like 30Hz...don't remember exactly.  The Crown amp is driven with full-range signals in parallel with the left and right signals.  (I have my Oppo '95 DP set to no SW on the '.1' channel, so all that bass is added to the front-L&R channels.)

These add a level of power to the bottom half of the bottom octave and sound quite good with any speaker I've had in the room--and they were quite inexpensive.   :green:
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 02:52 am by jeffreybehr »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2014, 09:26 pm »
[quote  One thing I did not like about the S-7's appearance was that swoopy foot, so this weekend I built a new pair of stands.  I have a bunch of 1-1/2"-square aluminum tubing and was going to use that but decided on 3/8-by-1-1/2" steel strap.  Bought the stuff and had it cut into the right lengths.  My friend and I drilled holes, he welded the front assembly together, and I drilled and tapped the spike holes.  I used 2-piece, 1-1/2" spikes from Sound-O-City/OregonDV...
http://www.oregondv.com/spikes.htm
...but for 3/8"-course-thread screws.  I used black allen-head screws with jam nuts.

[/quote]

Those look really nice and please keep us posted on your impressions once you've had them for a while.

For my Super V, Super 7 look a likes I'll be doing something similar with the bases as well, I too have never cared for the feet but really like the rest of the Super 7 shape. Nice way that you handled the change.

Greg

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2014, 12:56 am »
Very nice,    I especially liked that  metallic silver/black grilled pair of S7's  since the first time  I saw the pics posted.   That color combo just looks  great and  I bet it is  even  sharper in person.  I'm sure they sound wonderful  being driven by those amps...
Yup,  lucky  you   :thumb:

-jay

Jay,

Noticed the new avatar. What's that behind the OB7's?

Mike

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2014, 02:09 am »
Those look really nice and please keep us posted on your impressions once you've had them for a while.

For my Super V, Super 7 look a likes I'll be doing something similar with the bases as well, I too have never cared for the feet but really like the rest of the Super 7 shape. Nice way that you handled the change.

Greg

TYVM.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2014, 02:50 am »
Very nice. Once you've had time to form an opinion on these, would you mind commenting on the difference in sound quality you are hearing vs the 5As?
I've been thinking about replacing the Vandy's in my main listening room, and these are one of the speakers I've been considering.

When Glowacki recommended the S-7s to me, one term he used to describe the sound was 'polite'.  I wasn't confident I knew what that meant until I got the 7s home.  The 5As had rather uneven frequency response in the MR and treble, and sometimes they sounded a bit harsh.  After a couple days listening to the 7s, it dawned on me that they never sounded harsh...detailed, very clean, yes, but never harsh.  I then measured the frequency response with my third-octave RTA, a Phonic Personal Audio Assistant II, and noticed that they have the smoothest, that is, the least-peaky/notchy, FR in the MR/treble I've ever seen on that display.  (I got the bass, too, tuned quickly to have a very smooth response.)  I figured that the 7s were never 'shouting' at me over narrow frequency bands--perhaps single musical notes--the way the 5As did.  I believe that's why the 5As sounded harsh sometimes and why the 7s sound 'polite'.

So...the 7s sound:
1. 'Polite', that is, they never shout at me;
2. A bit more spacious than the 5As.  I thought they would sound that way to a greater degree, but they don't.  They certainly don't 'wallow' in their dipole character the way some I've heard do.  Careful tweaking of front and rear directivity?
3. A bit warmer balanced.  That is, they can easily be adjusted to have a tad more energy from about 200Hz down, which makes the lower-frequency instruments of the orchestra--cellos, basses, tubas, tympani, bassdrums, etc.--sound a little more powerful and NEVER lean and wimpy--and I HATE such leanness in big-orchestra recorded music.
4. Very transparent, a little more so than the 5As.*
5. Smoother--less peaky--in the bass than the 5as, in spite of careful adjustment of the 5As' bass-level pots.
6. A tad less energy in the bottom half of the bottom octave.
7. Very coherent top to bottom, a product of Danny's magic wand he waves over that servo-corrected bass system and that batch of mag-planar drivers--which are fed with allegedly less-coherent 2nd-order filters.

FWIW, after e-mailing with Danny about the right high-pass filter point for the MR/treble of the 7s, I'm temporarily driving them full-range, that is, with NO HP filter before the poweramps.  IIRC, Danny decided that with only 8 Watts driving them, the MR drivers can't be overdriven.  I'll have Sonic Craft install a 0.01uF coupling cap in the Frankensteins; that'll create a 48Hz HP filter due to their 330K load resistor.  I imagine the 7s will sound better for it.

I REALLY like the sounds of these 7s.   :green:

Hmm...I just calculated that I'm driving the 7s with NINETEEN dB less power than I was the 5As.  Three cheers for 300B-based SET monoamps!

* and my 5As had better bypass caps--SoniCap Platinums--in the MR and treble filters than the original red TRT DynamiCaps.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2014, 04:18 am »
Jay,

Noticed the new avatar. What's that behind the OB7's?

Mike

Mike,  those are oly  cyndrical diffusers I made up to see if diffusion would work before spending money on something better .  I'm hoping to pick up a couple of the Mr. T diffusers from PI Audio and  swap out the poly's one of these days, they're on "the list"

Sorry Jeffrey,  end of hijack   :lol:

-jay