Any of you collect picture LPs?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Any of you collect picture LPs?
« on: 6 May 2014, 12:21 am »
You know, the one with the art work built in to the vinyl?

I think I just got the deal of the century last week at Hastings in Stillwater, OK. 

I was rooting through the bargain bins after a day of work.  Who KNEW there were so many Polka fans in Stillwater?

First I found an RCA Shaded Dog/Reiner Rossini Overtures in nice condition. I'd never even heard of or seen  of that disc before.  For a buck!  THEN I found an early Sheffield Direct-to-Disc of Lincoln Mayorga, Vol III. for $2.   And a bunch of other stuff I'd like to hear or were in better condition than the copies I own.  $25 bucks for well over a dozen LPs, because there was a 20% off sale.

I went back the next night (it's Stillwater, OK, what the hell else am I going to do?) to look through the clearance clearance bins.

And there it was!  I couldn't believe my eyes!

This performer is known world-wide for his musical stylings that span the ages.  A 25th-Anniversary picture LP (and a second, non-picture disc) celebrating this man's place in musical history was in my hands with marked price of $1.99 (20% sale still on, BTW).   It even had  the individual disc number from the merely 50,000 limited edition press run, set right in the playing side!  On the back were images of the many charitable causes which this gentleman and his wife have founded.

While it was pretty far from my musical tastes, and I already had a shitpot full off LPs to haul back (did I mention the Stillwater Friends of the Library had a book sale that day, with LPs at half a buck?), I hemmed and hawed and them realized "Hey!  I'm sure one of the AC guys would LOVE to have it!

Jacket's a little rough, but the record has almost no spiders around the hole and looks to be excellent+.  The second LP is near mint.

Who, you ask, is the musical giant behind this audio gem?

Wait for it………………………………

None other than the immortal Jimmy Swaggart!  With his dear wife of 25 years, looking frankly not too happy.
This little beauty is one of a a very collectible pressing run of only 50,000, so rare that I'm not sure I dare play it.

I'm guessing the other 49, 995 copies are in some hooker's basement somewhere.

Bidding will start at a mere $250.  PLUS shipping.

:rotflmao:

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Any of you collect picture LPs?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2014, 12:27 am »
Well, he is Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin and can play piano with the best of them. But on the other hand...

Doc

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Any of you collect picture LPs?
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2014, 12:30 am »
Yeah, DD, if he'd stuck with his hand he wouldn't have been busted……………... :nono: :duh: