McGurk's: One more choice item!

Baumli

McGurk's: One more choice item!
« on: 4 May 2014, 07:52 am »
Fellow audiophiliacs,

I'm glad to know the Vinyl Crawl went well. Now for the McGurk's event. I wanted to say that an item, which was hoped for, did at last make its way here as of this early afternoon. It's an early-1930s Bausch & Lomb microscope in a gorgeous cabinet. (I am posting this at 2:45 A.M. so don't have time to do a picture.) It was just cleaned and serviced by Midwest Medical Equipment Repair (the best in town). They weren't sure they could have it finished in time, so this is why I did not want to state that it would be in the auction. This is an awesome scope. I have one almost exactly like it. It has three eyepiece optics (5, 10, & 20), and a two-turrent objective with interchangeable objectives (one usually leaves the 10X and 43X on, and if wanting to use the 97X oil immersion one, you unscrew one of the installed objectives--easily done, it takes seconds--and screw on the high-power one). You can look at slides of blood, or you can slide on the 5X eyepiece and through the 43X objective you have the perfect power for looking at a cartridge. Bidding on this item will start at $60.

There are 3 high-quality interconnects, 2 high-quality power cords, and many small items. Go back and look at the photos in the previous listing!

I hope to see many of you there. The last time I saw an actual horde of GAS people was at Scott Faller's party. We need to form another horde.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Francis Baumli

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: McGurk's: One more choice item!
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2014, 02:20 pm »
Francis, I would love to have attended, but had to work the STL Air Show yesterday and we didn't get back to Rolla until 9 p.m.

Can you post photos of anything left over from the McGurk's event?

Thanks!

'brick
« Last Edit: 6 May 2014, 12:20 pm by thunderbrick »

Baumli

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2014, 05:50 pm »
Dear folk,

First, to correct a mistake. I stated that bidding on the microscope will start at $60. I should have stated that it will start at $100. The amount $60 was sticking in my mind because this is what it cost to have it serviced.

And 'brick of the thundergods, I'm sorry you won't be able to make it. I hope the air-show was fun.

Now I've got to run. My better half wants me to help today. I told her I'd be glad to. I work best when I'm not sober. At least with this kind of work.

I'll see you all soon. And I do think that at all such events, now and for the future, we gassers should call ourselves the "heathen hordes." Our way of making a statement, you know.

I'll see you soon!

Francis Baumli

Baumli

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2014, 07:56 am »
Dear folks,

The McGurk's event was quite a success, in terms of selling audio goods. But the GAS people were elsewhere for the most part. Dave S. was there, and myself, and that was it. Which is quite understandable. There was, it turns out, a record show--the one Adrian referred to in his note. Plus the Vinyl Crawl happened the day before. And not least, several people in GAS are going through some personal tussles right now. They can give particulars, and do so publicly when, or if, they are so inclined.

The hottest selling items were the vinyl. An 11-year-old bought a piece of rare jazz. All the rest sold except for two discs. Thunderbrick asked me to post photos of what didn't sell. I needn't do this, since what didn't sell are in the original photos--except for the vinyl. But I'll here list them, with what was the beginning bid. In other words, since these didn't sell at all, you could have had them for the beginning bid had you been there. They are few:

**$4     Set of 2 CARDAS (logo) XLR covers. (new: $60 retail)
**$5     Set of 12 CARDAS (logo) RCA covers. (new: $60 retail)
**$2     Set of 2 "Stereophile" test CDs.
**$1     Acoustic Research record cleaning brush. (new: retail $11, based on the AudioQuest brush--probably made by the same manufacturer!)
**$15   Set of 8 steam-engine CDs. (new--one opened--retail about $180)
**$3     Set of 3 audio test CDs. (new--retail about $65)
**$2     LP: "Cowgirl's Prayer" by Emmylou Harris (I was amazed that this rare LP did not sell.)
**$2     LP: "Honky Tonk Angel" by Ellen McIlwaine (folk-blues, and maybe the most gorgeous album cover ever!)
**$40   NOS CARDAS 10' "Hexlink" PC  (I am flabbergasted that no one bid on this cord, which is great for power amps. Perhaps it is just too long? I use one of these on my Fender bass amplifier; my cord, I think, is 8' long, and unlike the current offering is a bit scuffed from hard use.)

These will go to the warehouse and be in the auction next year. Come to think of it, they won't go over there for another week or so. They'll be here at my house. So if anyone wants any of these items you can have them at the opening bid. And if you did the math, you can see that you could have the whole tall tamale for under $75. Phone me at: (314) 966-2167 if you want some of these. But please do so fairly soon. They need to go out from under my lustful eyes.

I'm sure I'll see more of you next year. Meanwhile, my wife goes off to the jungle. No electricity, no hygiene amenities, but lots of people in need of medical help. Her patient husband will await her return.

Thank you to all, for your emotional participation!

All the best,

Francis Baumli