THE VERSATILITY OF THE SUPER 3i

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
THE VERSATILITY OF THE SUPER 3i
« on: 3 May 2014, 08:08 pm »
I feel like doing a plug for the Super 3i to give readers an overview of one of the most successful speakers Omega has ever built, and also one of the most successful for me up here in Canada.

My first experience with this speaker was back in 2010 when it still had the HempCone driver.  At the time I had a highly touted competitor's speaker on my desktop and when the 3i's showed up I immediately put them in place of the others.  No contest whatsoever - the Super 3i absolutely destroyed the other speaker, right out of the box.

Next, they went into my main reference system which had the Super 5 Monitor (HempCone) and DeeHemp sub.  From that time on I swapped back and forth between room systems and the desktop.  They worked well with the Decware SE84, gainclones, and Class T I had at the time.  They worked well near field as on the desktop and in a room.

Next, they went onto a credenza powered by either a Decware SE84 or Ideal Innovations Elite 40SE.  That situation was near field where the listener sat closer to the speakers than the distance the speakers were apart - often a no no.  The sound was sublime with incredible imaging.  My older websites have had this setup pictured.

Next, I tried them on a very small cramped desktop with Parasound Z pre/power conventional class A/B and again the Super 3i sounded terrific.

Next (if you're still with me) I tried them on a mantle with their rear firing port about an inch from the backing wall, run by an 8 watt gainclone and the sound was wonderful with no bass bloat.

Enter the new RS5 version: same cabinet, but 1/2 inch wider, and porting to match the new driver.  Regardless of what cabinet Louis puts the RS5 driver in (the Super 3i is no exception) the midrange fleshes out, the bass fills out, and the top end smooths out - a more linear sound.  Every aspect of the frequency range is improved.  One thing that has not changed is the versatility of the Super 3i.  Put it anywhere and it will sing.  THE most versatile speaker in the Omega/Hoyt lineup.

Even though The Super 3i is extremely versatile, it is still a very transparent thoroughbred and instantly reflects what is upline, including cabling.
You might ask, how good is the bottom end of the such a compact speaker?  It depends on the room acoustics and size.  In a smaller room they produce a nice believable bass.  In a larger room they would benefit from an Omega Micron sub, or a Speed Twelve.  With either sub, they likely would outperform speakers in the $tens of thousands.

Over the years the website pictures of Omega speakers have improved and now Louis is doing his photography with his speakers on Sound Anchors stands which are some of the best available.  The picture below shows them on the Sound Anchors single post stands (Sound Anchors stands come pre-filled with ballast).  The finish is the new vintage quarter sawn oak real wood veneer.

Last thing (and then I'll put my podium away) is the look of this speaker.  In my opinion the dimensions are beautiful and would enhance any decor.
I love the look and sound of Louis wide baffle speakers, but there are exceptions and the Super 3i is one.

If you are thinking of buying the Super 3i with a sub, Louis will do a package price if both are purchased at the same time.  This offer works both sides of the border.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: THE VERSATILITY OF THE SUPER 3i
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2014, 11:55 pm »
Rob,

Looks interesting. Geez. I just spoke with Louis a couple days ago about his speakers.....spooky.... :wink:

I do not see the speed 12 on the website. Got a link?

Thanks,

Michael

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2014, 01:01 am »
I haven't tried hi eff single driver speakers (yet) and I'm becoming more and more curious about their sound. I know they vary, but it seems to me that the 3i might be the perfect place for me to start. I've had my eye on these for awhile. I think it is more a matter of when, rather than if.  :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2014, 01:26 am »
Nice write up Canada Rob.  I have posted numerous times in this forum how well the RS5 performs in all aspects of sonic reproduction.   They exhibit such a naturalness and tonal balance with zero accentuation in their designed frequencies.    I'm constantly in front of my Super 5's...enjoying all they offer. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2014, 03:16 am »
Rob,

Looks interesting. Geez. I just spoke with Louis a couple days ago about his speakers.....spooky.... :wink:

I do not see the speed 12 on the website. Got a link?

Thanks,

Michael
Hello mresseguie,

They are not on the website yet (which is being re-worked).
The Speed Twelve will come in two models: the Studio (about $1700), and the Paramount (About $2400 and part of the new high end Paramount line Louis is working on). 
The differences:
Studio: No base, just spikes and available in EKO Black finish.  Same plate amp Louis has used for years.
Paramount: Base, comes standard with real wood veneer.  Higher end plate amp.  Logo will be different too.
All else the same.  The two pictured are the first two made.  Grills will be included, as that bulls eye of a driver would be very tempting to any toddler straying into forbidden territory.

The customers that bought these two love them.  Tons of dynamics and impact with that large lightweight driver.  Speed wise they will keep up with any Omega speaker built.

« Last Edit: 5 May 2014, 09:10 pm by Canada Rob »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2014, 10:26 am »
On the next website update could you please include some basic info:

How much power (continuous/peak) that the RS5, and all of the main drivers, can handle;
Pictures of the back sides of the subs (are there high level outputs on the subs going to the mains? are there adjustments for volume/crossover/phase?);
List of reviews (professional and others that would be useful).

Maybe you could start a thread asking for website ideas.  How about an interview of Louis with pictures of him and his shop?

Love Louis and his stuff, but constantly having to read every post of the past 2 years to glean only partial information kills me and has to hurt interest among possible customers and reviewers.  And I can only imagine the time it would save Louis answering calls.

BTW I find your brief review of the 3i to be encouraging but a tease and only somewhat useful.  You don't specify your audio background, sources, music used, exact setups, or room sizes.  How about some pics?  And some of those amps I've never heard of (making your experience nearly impossible to gauge).  Maybe a little background on them would help.

Please take all this as nothing more than an impassioned cry to improve communications and the Omega cause.

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2014, 10:36 am »
I agree with JLM.

Guy 13

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2014, 12:08 pm »
I think you're doing just fine Rob!  There are no cottage industry websites that
provide the kind of information JLM is asking for.  This is a forum, not a review
website and frankly none of the other reviews here take the time to explain the
etiology of amps that others may be unfamiliar with.  Reviews here are ad hoc in
nature and are subjective opinions of the reviewer.  Even the hard copy rags that
provide various kinds of data are, at the end of the day, the reviewers opinion.  No
amount of background information will change that.

As far as the plate amps used in the subs, a brand name might be helpful, although
the pictures show line and speaker level inputs as well as speaker level outs with a
phase switch, crossover pot and volume pot.
my .02,
Hibuck...

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2014, 05:16 pm »
Hi all,

highbuckhobby, I totally agree with you.

Many thanks for all the positive replies and posts.  I have complete faith in Rob, and he has been an immense help to me regarding the AudioCircle, and all the website work he has done and is doing for me.  He has done an excellent job and I couldn't be happier.  There is nobody besides myself who knows more about my product than Rob.

Our forum here at AudioCircle is and has always been where Omega news comes first.  During this transition in which my websites are being updated we are working at including more content and better pictures, etc.  The AudioCircle will get previews of upcoming models and new ideas.  I always try to evolve and be better and better as I go, without planned obsolescence.  I could not bring the Omega website and the Omega Store to the level I want without Robs help.

I am 100% devoted to Omega speakers, which is why I build them myself in house, and I spend enormous amounts of time and money to have OEM Omega drivers.  As far as the "lack of content"  that I am accused of, check out Voxative whose speakers start at about $12000 and check out Magico, and there are no doubt a host of others.  The reason I pick these two companies is because their products are reputed as being very good.

Thanks again,

Louis