Some love for the Soundscape 8's from Absolute Sound

rick_reynolds40

Jim,

I told you the wrong publication on the phone.   Here is the link.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2014-loudspeakers-and-electronics-under-15k/

Austin08

Re: Some love for the Soundscape 8's from Absolute Sound
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2014, 02:43 pm »
First one pick SS8 over Exotica 3.

Ern Dog

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2014, 03:35 pm »
Impressive!

SCompRacer

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2014, 04:44 pm »

I'll go on record as number two.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2014, 05:11 pm »
Well, gee, should I listen to a great speaker or a great speaker?   Hmmmm :scratch:

Back to that personal choice issue once again.

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2014, 05:12 pm »
I'll go on record as number two.

I would never think I could swap out my SS8 without Listening the Exotica 3 by myself. $4000 can buy me a Salkstreamer and a nice dac  :lol:

Tom Alverson

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2014, 07:15 pm »

Darn.  I was hoping for a glut of cheap SS8's on the market.  :D

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2014, 09:10 pm »
A number of years ago, I attended an audio show that featured mostly single driver speakers.  People all around me were raving about the sound of this speaker or that.  But personally, I didn't hear anything I thought was all that compelling.  Relatively little bass...rolled off highs.  I fully understood that they loved the coherence of the speakers they were listening to, but I was looking for something entirely different.

A few years later we were showing speakers at an audio show.  I recall a group of audiophiles who passed by our room, took a look inside and walked away.  As they continued down the hall, I heard one of them say, "solid state," in a rather disgusted-sounding tone.  At the same time, I have also heard others at shows  complain about a "lack of tight bass control" when we were using tube amplification.

No one system will satisfy everyone.  A speaker one person loves will leave another wanting.  Some people like dome tweeters, some people like ribbons.  Some people like hi-rez digital, others prefer analog.  That is the nature of this hobby.

I can easily see why someone would prefer the SoundScape 8's.  But I also know individuals who would take the Exotica 3's over them any day of the week.  That is the nice thing about this hobby.  We all search for attributes of sound reproduction we find appealing.  And that search takes each of us in a slightly different direction.  What's more, we are all passionate about the direction we take.

When we were asked to work with the Exotic drivers, we had no intention of developing a new model.  But as soon as I heard them, I realized that a significant group of individuals would be thrilled with speakers using them. And after spending a week-end at AXPONA, I am more convinced of this than ever.

It's nice to have a choice.

- Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2014, 11:13 pm »
Jim, hope to see you at RMAF with these new speakers!