First time poster, please forgive me if I’ve not delved deep enough. I’ve recently acquired a pair of refurbished ESL63 USA monitors. I’m thrilled there is a superior option to the old Gradients. I’ve had extended listening with the Gradients on a friends system, even these I’m not thrilled at how they integrate withe the panels. A few questions, I’m grateful for any help here...
1) how much better is the GR solution in terms of integration?
2) I don’t see any plans for a base version that is designed to fit underneath the ESL 63 the positions them at the correct height. Is there one?
3) one post talks about twisting the OB to imporve resonances, is this likely in most situation thereby causing the mounting of the 63 to the top of the OB SW needing to be flexible?
4) I see there is a 2 or 3 woofer version, which mates better with the 63 in a 14 x 22 room? And why?
5) MDF seems to be the frequent choice, would Baltic Birch be better?
6) GR offers dampening material, has anyone used it and hear audible differences? Was it worth the investment
Any feedback appreciated!
Here's some info on a couople of your questions...
2 vs 3,woofer stack.... 2 per channel will likely fill your room .... with 3 you'll gain 1/3 more air movement, some impact and you'll work each driver less so they'll effectively become more efficient. How noticiable this is will depnd on how hard you work the duals.
MDF is a very uniform material. I like it for speakers. I'm thinking you'll get guys on both sides of the "fence" regarding this. We've been using Medex in our modular design which works well, I can't get it in 1.5" so they use 1.25" side panels.... i'ts a bit denser than standard MDF and is much more water resistent. Nice thing about the modulars is you can add an aditon driver at any point, or more if you really want. Can go all the way up to quads or even 6 stacks if you go to the HX800 amps.
I wouldn't build a pair without the no-rez. You're talking about building a world class sub woofer solution, don't cheap ouot on the damping material. I have never built a pair without it so can't give any a/b impressins. IIRC, Tyson did some before after no-rez impressions when he builot out his Super 7's . Again, IIRC, he felt it made a significant difference.