TV and component stand help

gregcss

TV and component stand help
« on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:46 pm »
I'm having difficulty in finding a stand with a nice size cubby for the center channel and where the TV can sit on top of it. In the pic below I highlighted in red the cubby I quickly put together as a temporary solution. My requirements for the stand is one that can hold 4 components (AVR, BDP, game system, spare shelf), have a cubby large enough for salk songcenter that is close to ear height, and can hold a TV where the middle of the TV sits close to eye height. I know that last two will be give and take. Budget is around $4-500, of course less expensive is preferred. I tried Target and IKEA with no luck. Can anyone make recommendations for places to look for such a stand?

mcgsxr

Re: TV and component stand help
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:16 pm »
A nice setup!

Too bad you are not close to Toronto, I have worked several times with a local woodworker (and audio enthusiast) on projects like this, and it would be right up his alley.

Have you thought about local cabinet makers?  If you control the urge to use exotic wood, I would think a custom solution possible?

My other thought would be to wall mount that TV and then use the top of the AV unit to hold the center (with spacers?) at the correct height.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:41 pm »
A nice setup!

Too bad you are not close to Toronto, I have worked several times with a local woodworker (and audio enthusiast) on projects like this, and it would be right up his alley.

Have you thought about local cabinet makers?  If you control the urge to use exotic wood, I would think a custom solution possible?

My other thought would be to wall mount that TV and then use the top of the AV unit to hold the center (with spacers?) at the correct height.

Custom stand might be possible, but could cost more than I'd like. I'll consider it. I have a wall mount and was using that at my old place. At my new place (townhouse) I think the wall behind the TV is a 'firewall'. I had difficulty with a stud finder, and when hammering a nail in to verify the stud location it didn't feel right - the nail was bouncing out. So I gave up on mounting it.

gregcss

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2014, 05:42 pm »
does this work for you

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001O9CK3Q/ref=nosim/panandscathed-20

David

Something like this might actually be a good solution. I'll read more into it. Thanks!

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2014, 09:37 pm »
In a firewall. eg concrete or cinder block they make anchors to hold the screws that work really well. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask about them. The good thing is the flat screens usually weigh less than 40 lbs so no need to a super heavy  placement screw.

gregcss

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2014, 05:38 pm »
Looks like I'll need to up my budget to get something with the dimensions I need - like this from Salamander.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2014, 06:41 pm »
Salamander stuff comes up frequently on Ebay. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find a unit that you are interested in locally because most of the time the Ebay stuff is local sale only for good reason.

Craig's list is another good source.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:21 pm »
Salamander makes nice stuff.  You can also do towers (I believe 20 inches, 30 inches or 40 inches tall) and bridges.  This is a front spare bedroom system.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2014, 07:52 pm »
Looks like I'll need to up my budget to get something with the dimensions I need - like this from Salamander.

Here is a similar model to the one you are looking at in distance which you can drive to

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/stands-salamander-designs-synergy-323-av-cabinet-black-2014-04-06-accessories-23221--3

gregcss

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2014, 08:15 pm »
Thanks guys. I like the towers and bridge setup.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 08:48 pm »
I moved from down the road to your listed located 4 months ago and would have made the deal of a lifetime (threw away the backs as they are not great for allowing ventilation or wiring).  Not that I don't like the stuff (I had it in the main system in a big room and I still have the matching media cabinets in the main room and the end table in the same room as the towers) but it is in a small spare bedroom and I had a narrower bridge at one point but had a big center channel in the main system and traded a friend who wanted the smaller bridges.  I have the (55 inch which was in my old master BR) TV (safely) slightly angled down and 30 inch towers vs. my 40 inch ones would work lots better in the room I have now.  I have an old smaller (42 inch) TV in another small bedroom and even though I have surround in-ceiling speakers I decided just to do 2-channel in that room as the furniture handles it better.

It's somewhat difficult to find A/V furniture of sufficient depth for higher end equipment.  I moved the receiver I had in the upstairs bonus room to the master bedroom and got a cheaper Denon which works better with the depth of the furniture in there.  I had a custom piece for A/V components (and a desk too) made for the master bedroom to match the bedroom set.  Below is a pic along with the bottom part of the (92 inch) screen that folds into the master bedroom ceiling.  If I just want to watch news, the 32 inch TV is fine.  I looked for quite a while and could only find a couple of things which were usable to me in the master bedroom before making the decision.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:48 pm »
Perhaps you already considered this, but could you not just remove the back of whatever units are not deep enough, and move the entire unit forward from the wall an inch or two?

The results might prove too ghetto mind you, but it would certainly allow for many options.

This IS the reason I built a Flexi all those years ago.  I kept it in the room with my gear until recently, when I built up the basement and installed a media closet.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
I just purchased a BDI Cavo 8167, and it's speaker shelf is big enough for an Atlantic Technology PB 235. Price-wise it is more of the more affordable BDI units.

gregcss

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:40 pm »
I just purchased a BDI Cavo 8167, and it's speaker shelf is big enough for an Atlantic Technology PB 235. Price-wise it is more of the more affordable BDI units.

The SongCenter has a height of 8" so I would need ~8.5" of clearance. Unfortunately the speaker shelf on this BDI unit has a height of 7". Thanks anyway.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2014, 05:48 pm »
The SongCenter has a height of 8" so I would need ~8.5" of clearance. Unfortunately the speaker shelf on this BDI unit has a height of 7". Thanks anyway.

Would you consider a center-channel shelf that would attach to the top of the flat screen? There are lots of them out there. Atlantic Technology has one on Amazon and it's rated to support up to 40 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Technology-SHELF-2405-Speaker-Shelf/dp/B00AM9WET4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0