where are member turntable located

G E

Re: where are member turntable located
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:07 pm »
I am experimenting with various single malts and their impact on perception of PRAT, air and 3D soundstage.

Many more trials need to be conducted before I will be able to reach a conclusion.

threadkiller

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:09 pm »
I like those kind of indepth trials... although watch that cantilever, it's not a toothpick..

As to the record cleaners, the Nitty Gritty isn't as good as a VPI 16.5.. See if you can find one used...
Stay away from the Record Spin.. It's cheap and leaves residue- only as a first stage for garage sale records...
Save and go for a Keith Monks or KL Audio ultrasonic...that's my next purchase...

Charisma12

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm »

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:18 am »
also looking to up grade my SUT from the Denon AU-300LC to a 1:15 or 1:20 or 1:40 model improving the 103r I am currently using

The 103R with the Auditorium 23 SUT is magic. .... if it's within your budget.

mick wolfe

« Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:37 am »
I'm surprised that you prefer that set up to something like a real wood and Baltic Birch ply rack Mick. I'm sure Newbie is totally confused now  :)

Rob....I'll probably work Baltic Birch in the rotation down the road. Way too many non audio projects taking priority at this time.

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2014, 03:05 pm »

Handsome set up. That wouldn't happen to be an Oracle carbon brush from days of yore ? I still have one, but my little ground wire attachment has sadly passed on.

hi5harry

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2014, 04:08 pm »
I learned this from two crazy audiophile buddies. I use two Vibraplane air tables for electron microscopes. They work great to keep microphonics to a minimum. Probably limited to a cave situation.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2014, 04:36 pm »
I learned this from two crazy audiophile buddies. I use two Vibraplane air tables for electron microscopes. They work great to keep microphonics to a minimum. Probably limited to a cave situation.

Urm, where's the Well Tempered?

rob400

« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:36 am »
Further to my Baltic Birch Plywood post on this thread I decided that as I had a couple of 5' x 5' sheets of 18 mm of the stuff and the platforms made from it where so nice sounding I'd knock up a couple of small tables/racks to see how my system would sound sat on a nothing but Baltic Birch. The pic I've attached is one of them. I've added base adjustable spikes for levelling. They don't look great but boy what a natural, vibrant sound from my Versalex. Same from my CD player. Nothing shrill or hard either with excellent PRAT.  The platforms aren't screwed down and the whole in the centre of each is very worthwhile ( thanks Charlie) The total material cost in the UK for the two of the two tier racks is around $100 USD. I made my two in a morning so maybe those of you who are handy with wood work might give it a go. Now to face the other half with them  :).

Charisma12

« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2014, 01:35 pm »
Handsome set up. That wouldn't happen to be an Oracle carbon brush from days of yore ? I still have one, but my little ground wire attachment has sadly passed on.

Yes, it is an Oracle carbon brush.

The table is a limited edition Well Tempered Signature.  Only 55 pieces were made worldwide.

bdp24

« Reply #30 on: 28 May 2014, 10:33 am »
I've tried many types of materials in different variations but finally found what I think is the ideal combo of looks and sound. Baltic birch plywood boards (better than the oak veneered mdf I used previously) sat on small isolation pads on a solid oak frame. Whatever material/design you choose aim for light but dense and rigid IMO.

Light, dense, and rigid suggests the BDR carbon fiber shelf. Not cheap like Birch, but not crazy expensive like some others. 18 X 14 X 3/4 is about $700, I think. All right, that is crazy expensive.

rob400

« Reply #31 on: 28 May 2014, 01:20 pm »
Light, dense, and rigid suggests the BDR carbon fiber shelf. Not cheap like Birch, but not crazy expensive like some others. 18 X 14 X 3/4 is about $700, I think. All right, that is crazy expensive.
Have you tried the BDR Carbon Fiber against Baltic Birch friend? My Baltic Birch Ply Rack has proved to be 'the cherry on the top' with regard to my system. It would take some improving upon!

threadkiller

« Reply #32 on: 29 May 2014, 02:28 am »
Sounds good, Rob.
Wood all the way!
I hate carbon fiber arms ( or what I've heard), so I wouldn't expect much from a shelf.
Wood sings... I'm not sure what the hell carbon does...

rob400

« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2014, 11:43 am »
Indeed Charlie. I miss the look of my Oak Framed Rack but the all Baltic Birch Ply pair just sound so natural with that hint of hardness now gone. Thanks for the hole in the centre of the platform tip. Worthwhile for sure.

mick wolfe

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2014, 03:41 pm »
Sounds good, Rob.
Wood all the way!
I hate carbon fiber arms ( or what I've heard), so I wouldn't expect much from a shelf.
Wood sings... I'm not sure what the hell carbon does...

Makes for a superb bicycle frame.

threadkiller

« Reply #35 on: 29 May 2014, 09:25 pm »
Lol.  Very very true... But we're not listening to bicycle frames...
It sucks in the tone arms I've heard that used it...

jschwenker

« Reply #36 on: 29 May 2014, 10:29 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here's a description & pictures of turntable stage isolation, built into/onto a wall mount.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82514.msg1306519#msg1306519

Cheers,  John

newvinyl

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jun 2014, 03:10 pm »
I have my Amadeus set up on the same platform that my Rega was previously set up on.
It's an Ikea Lack sandwich - light and rigid.
The Lack "Side Table" is on a concrete floor, and another Lack table top (without the legs) is on top of the bottom table.
In between the bottom table and the table top are 4 racket balls (cut in half).
The whole set up cost about $25US.

I think it sounds fine. However, I've never compared it to a birch wood set up.
The cut-in-half racket balls seem kinda wanky, but I haven't found an audiophile-approved "firm but squishy" alternative yet.

bdp24

« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2014, 02:12 am »
Have you tried the BDR Carbon Fiber against Baltic Birch friend? My Baltic Birch Ply Rack has proved to be 'the cherry on the top' with regard to my system. It would take some improving upon!

No, I use Bright Star Big Rocks under my table, CD player, pre- and power- amps. Out of fashion, but so what. I put sand in the sub cabinets I built, too.

rob400

« Reply #39 on: 22 Oct 2014, 05:26 am »
I put sand in the sub cabinets I built, too.
You've gone for the heavy mass approach then. If the glove fits great. To these ears and with my WT Versalex heavy mass = dead sounding. Light, very rigid/stable with good resonance all the way IMO. I'd go for the Ikea Lack table which is dirt cheap (and looks it) before I'd go sand filled anything. I'm sure that the way our systems are voiced effects the results we obtain rack design wise. This is a forum for thrashing out ideas and experiences so no absolutes here.