From tablet to tube amp?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
From tablet to tube amp?
« on: 13 Apr 2014, 05:51 pm »
It is possible to use the headphone output of a tablet (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) and go straight to the input of a tube amp (Jolida JD202)?

It sure seems to me like it would work, but I like to keep the smoke inside my equipment, if you catch my drift.

Bob

p.s. I assume this is the correct Circle to place this, since it's a noob question and not specifically a sand/valve/digital/analog/diskless question.

questfortone

Re: From tablet to tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014, 09:24 pm »
Yes you can: For my desktop system I go from my I pad (usb camera connection adapter) into a my Nuforce Icon (for dac and pre amp duties) into my Jolida 102 to my Pioneer BS-22LR,  and it sounds amazing.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2014, 09:52 pm »
Sure Bob, just get a 1/8 mini to RCA interconnect and turn the volume on the pad all the way down.  Bring it up slowly and see if it has enough juice for the Jolida.  I've done something very similar with my iPhone and the adaptor cable.  May not have enough to drive the 202 to full volume, but I really how you're thinking.  Tablet and tubes are a very groovy idea. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm »
QFT - (Quest for tone) ... :wink: ... Thank you. That's #1 confirmation that I won't let the precious smoke out of my electronic toys.

Mark - Thanks man!   :thumb: That's number two, and enough for me to give this a shot.

My poor EL34 Jolida has stood idle for over a year now. I'm currently using an expensive AVR in my workshop to receive the music from my tablet. To say that this unit is underutilized in this configuration is a huge understatement. Mainly, I'd like to get it out the workshop, as the "rigged" air filtration going into its cooling fan and air vents has worried me since day one.  I have no worries about the tablet and tube amp in a slightly dusty area since there are no fans, no moving parts, and nothing "delicate".

Let the music play on.  :D
Thanks fellas.
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014, 12:13 am »
Well, in case you're curious, here's the before and after.

Before:

Harman Kardon AVR645 with (4) runs of CAT5e speaker wire, Samsung tablet and cheapo IC in between:

After:

All is the same, except the H/K AVR is now safely removed and the Jolida is in its place:

As far as sound quality is concerned, after thumbing through a few Pandora songs, I'd have the say I can't tell a difference.
Based on cost of units, that's about the way the it should be.  :lol:

Thanks again guys !  :thumb:
Bob

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:15 am »
I like the compressed air power supply. That must make excellent dynamics, and lots of air in the soundstage!  yukyuk

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2014, 03:41 pm »
Yes indeed. The was the bass pressurizes the room is amazing.  :lol: