Any current insights into Benchmark DACs?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Any current insights into Benchmark DACs?
« on: 12 Apr 2014, 01:27 am »
Nearly 10 years ago their DAC and headphone/pre-amp took the audio world by storm (24/192 capabilities, build quality, flexibility).  Reviewers pretty much agreed that anything better would cost several times as much.  Since then they've added USB and analog inputs with motorized volume control.  Subsequent reviewers still rave and hint at relative minor sound quality upgrades.  But that was 4 years ago (forever for DAC technology).

I have a pre-amp that includes an "after thought DAC" and love the concept of both in a small form factor.  So my question is, are the Benchmark products still competitive in the $1,000 - 1,500 range)?  Does anyone know if Benchmark has something on the near horizon?  Is there a good alternative?  (Right or wrong I have too much invested in Redbook to have much interest in high definition formats.)

TIA

geowak

Re: Any current insights into Benchmark DACs?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2014, 03:13 am »
I think Benchmark still makes DAC's and products at the cutting edge. Now they are making amps to match.
http://www.avforums.com/article/ces-2014-thx-team-up-with-benchmark-to-create-new-amplifier.9777
http://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-debuts-high-dynamic-range-amplifier

I think of DACs as more like flavors of ice cream. Each one gives a slightly different taste. I found my Benchmark DAC1 to be very clinical sounding, which was to me...neutral. It was not warm. Also, when bypassing a preamp altogether, and connecting the Benchmark directly to my amp, that really opened up the window to the music.

Now I have, in addition to the DAC1, a Schiit Audio Bifrost. That is a very musical DAC that I also like. For me, I like choices. I like class a, and class d amps. But I have a class a/b that I love. That being said, many will say that Benchmark has been surpassed by many a DAC maker. But many of these companies are charging a hefty price for that flavor of DAC. In the $1K price range, Benchmark can hold it's own. Above $1K it can be surpassed, for sure. Auralic and Mytek, I think will surpass Benchmark.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:58 am »
You might have a look at their DAC2

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm »
One thing for sure, you don't find many Benchmarks for sale.  (The only one on Agon is being sold by someone who reportedly upgraded to another Benchmark).

geowak,

Thanks, quite helpful as I've also looked at the BiFrost.  I generally go for accuracy over romance with the electronics.  And I was considering it as a replacement for both my DAC and pre-amp.  Adding the headphone output and it's small form factor are extra pluses.

Vincent,

Yes the DAC 2 supposedly sounds better and would help with future proofing, so for just $200 more than the DAC1 HDR (in an all digital system) it's a 'no brainer'.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm »
Both of the DAC1 units I've owned had relatively poor tracking of the volume control below the 12 o'clock position.  Depending upon power amp gain, speaker efficiency, etc, you can find your VC in that position quite often.  The internal adjustments don't allow modification when using the RCA outputs in the "variable" mode, so you're left with adding external attenuators to get the volume control in a better position.

The DAC2, of course, removes this problem with the HGC implementation.

They sound fine, but still pretty expensive units though.

Cheers,

Dave.

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2014, 03:19 pm »
I have a pre-amp that includes an "after thought DAC" and love the concept of both in a small form factor.  So my question is, are the Benchmark products still competitive in the $1,000 - 1,500 range)?  Does anyone know if Benchmark has something on the near horizon?  Is there a good alternative?  (Right or wrong I have too much invested in Redbook to have much interest in high definition formats.)

TIA

I think a good alternate to audition is the BMC PureDAC.  Since it's a DAC/preamp/headphone amp it matches the features of the Benchmark.  I've heard the Benchmark DAC1 many times because several of my friends own the unit, and I recently reviewed the BMC unit.  I compared both in a friend's system and while both produced a relatively neutral sound, the BMC was a bit sweeter in the midrange and thus more emotionally engaging. 

Cheers,
Paul

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:25 pm »
At the Capital Audiofest the end of last July, Everything Audio Network displayed a stack of DACs (about halfway down in the pic) - http://www.stereophile.com/content/capital-audiofest-day-two-part-one

Before the show got crazy, a couple of us spent a portion of Friday afternoon listening to them (besides John Gatski of Everything Audio Network in the room, it was myself, Alan Silverman the recording engineer who gave a seminar at the show and Jon Archer).  They were hooked up to his Oppo BDP-95 with an an (Atlona) HDMI audio de-embedder and equalized for levels.  I had a thumb drive with regular PCM, hi-rez PCM and DSD files I was able to listen to at 24/88.2.  My preference after listening to them all was the Teac.  I bought one for a spare system.  One of the purposes of my attendance besides looking at all the toys was to look at preamps with HT Bypass (and I bought the demo Odyssey Candela) and DACs for a secondary system.  The Everything Audio Network was one of the better ones as it allowed me to be able to compare several DACs.  There was not a night and day difference between any of them playing the material I brought.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:33 pm »
Here is a list of the stack of DACs in the Stereophile picture from Everything Audio Networks' Facebook page

"2013 CAF Alert!
A “Stac of DACs” at Everything Audio’s Hospitality Suite
Come listen to our “Stac of Dacs” at 2013 Capital Audiofest. Includes Benchmark DAC2 D
and brand newBenchmark DAC 2 L, Mytek Stereo 192-DSD, Lynx Hilo. Teac UD501
and Parasound Z-Dac.Room 608 Silver Spring Sheraton, July 26-28 Room 608.
Read our preview!"
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/07/audio-show-preview-2013-capital.html

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:45 pm »
I'm hoping some folks who have heard the Benchmark DAC2 will chime in (Ted B?) because it is supposed to be very different than the original DAC1.  The DAC 1 has a reputation as sounding very clinical and detailed.  From what I hear, the DAC 2 has all of the details but is much more musical and enjoyable.  It also plays native DSD and has many improvements over the original DAC1.  Of course, it costs around $2K for the preamp version. 

I look forward to trying this DAC out in my system.  It looks like a great improvement over the DAC1, to me at least because I'm not looking for clinical or hyper detailed.  I hear the Mytek is also super detailed so I'm not sure it would be on my list (although in fairness, I heard it at Axpona on the multi channel system with the big Sony speakers and thought the room sounded amazing).  Maybe I should reconsider the Mytek but my system wasn't nearly as exotic as the one at Axpo.