Perhaps the last marble 4.0

Jetsons

« on: 18 Aug 2004, 02:58 pm »
There hasn't been too much activity in the nOrh forum of late so I thought I would write about what may have been the final marble 4.0 to leave the nOrh premises.

I set out to find a single black marble 4.0 to complete a trio just in case I decided to put together small HT system down the road. The bad news is that I discovered that nOrh no longer manufactures these black beauties (there is no hint of this @ their web site). This might explain why these speakers have virtually disappeared from the secondary market.

Emails to Namphung and Michael indicated that no marble 4.0s remained in stock and of course, that they were no longer being manufactured. A couple of days passed and Namphung sent me the terrific news that one single speaker had been located at their warehouse, which I promptly snagged. :mrgreen:  It has arrived in perfect condition and it's awesome looking with solid lines of white calcite down the sides. It amazes me to this day that nOrh would make available such a work of art (IMHO) for $350.00 shipped anywhere on the planet.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank Michael for having the guts to offer such an amazing speaker at one VERY reasonable price. My many thanks also to Namphung for locating what it perhaps the last marble 4.0 to leave the nOrh warehouse. BTW, Namphung and Michael were excellent at responding to my emails and did so in very short order.

Cheers,

Jet

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 03:08 pm »
That is great news for you and sad news for others.

I have 5 marble 4.0's, 3 black and 2 white.

I really like mine and they sure aren't going anywhere.

A while back MB stated that he couldn't find masons to make his marble 9.0 cabinets any longer and the day would come when he wouldn't be able to make any real marble cabinets for the other models either.

Kind of a sad day.

I'm hanging onto my two pair of custom marble column 9.0's for the forseable future as well.

I feel fortunate to have them.

Jetsons

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 08:41 pm »
Hey, marbles:

I agree that it's very sad to see the production of the marble enclosure speakers come to an end.

I bought a pair three years ago believing that these speakers would not be around forever. I clearly recall Michael stating this at Audiocircle and perhaps other forums some time back. Will it be done again at these type of rerasonable prices, I tend to doubt it.

Mine aren't going anywhere either!

I wouldn't mind having a pair of the white marble 4.0s. The white with the pink veins is something else.

Jet

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2004, 08:49 pm »
The only equipment I've ever regretted selling were my marble 4.0's.  Don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Mathew_M

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2004, 09:09 pm »
So does this mean Norh speakers might actually have some value on the used market?  

I always wanted a pair in marble (hmm that reads a bit odd)  :lol:

But when I purchased my 4.0's I opted for the ceramic because everyone told me that they sounded the same for less money.  I ended up selling those but I sorta miss them.   Maybe Barnes will release a SE Marble version in the future.

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2004, 09:31 pm »
Yes it is sad that there may never be another norh marble speaker.

I have 5 Marble 9.0s:

2 Black biamped mains
2 White surround
1 Rose center

And I just got workd that my Outlaw 950 shipped back after getting the DSP board replaced. So I am eagerly waiting to hear all 5 at once again. Think I will watch the Matrix helicopter scene first....

booda

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2004, 09:56 pm »
How did you guys place the rear surround 4.0's? Mount, speaker stand? I may pick up a ceramic set but the Family room is wired so that the surrounds will be 6.5 feet high.  

What speaker stands for th efront.

Thanks

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:16 pm »
I hung my surrounds from the ceiling.

In the family room I have the fronts in an entertainment center just sitting on shelves and the center sits on a specially made stand on top of the TV.

Jetsons

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:43 am »
Hi, Tyson:

I was a bit surprised when you sold yours as you were always so complimentary of their performace, specially in HT applications. I have not had the opportunity to listen to a full set in a HT rig but given the monster imaging qualities on these puppies, the 4.0s must excell in that application.

This is the first and only speaker that I've ever owned, heard or seen that I consider performance to be a seconday issue which is certainly very good. I simply get a major kick simply admiring them. A couple of friends picked up the black marbles after seeing mine and they never thought they would spend $700.00 on a pair of speakers- a true compliment to nOrh.

Regards,

Jet

macdaddyjakarta

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2004, 06:35 am »
I am about to order a black marble 4.0 to use as a center speaker so I guess they are not yet quite done making them!

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2004, 06:57 am »
Let us know what happens when you contact Namphung.

macdaddyjakarta

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2004, 10:46 am »
I already have. She says they are still making them...

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2004, 02:50 pm »
Most excellant!!!

Thanks