stage two of ethernet domination completed!!

ricko01

stage two of ethernet domination completed!!
« on: 5 Apr 2014, 09:23 pm »
I have had my Cd's ripped to WAV files since 2004 and have been using a Slimdevices Transporter since 2006 into an outboard DAC (a BDA-1 since they 1st came out in 2008... serial # is 00004 !!!!).

I recently purchased a high end Blu-Ray transport (not an Oppo!!!!!!!!!!). An excellent, "stripped down" component with only what I need (not a gazillion video/audio outputs)... so reproduction quality goes up given it provides so "little"... 2 x HDMI out (one of which is audio only) , L/R analogue audio out, ethernet in.

What attracted me to the Blu-Ray transport was its support for DLNA (noting DLNA support is common place now... but wasnt always as mature/stable as it is now).

After a bit of shagging around trying various bits of software, I am using Linux command line to rip the DVD's as ISO's and Mezzmo on Windows as the server. So much easier to rip via Linux then windows.

I chose Mezzmo because it is one of the few DLNA servers that can play ISO's but even if I wasnt using ISO's, I would still have Mezzmo as it is very simple to use (aside from being well reviewed).  Many DLNA servers want to be a "swiss army knive" and are basically impossible to use.

So after many weeks, I now have all  250+ of my music DVD's ripped and like my audio via the Transporter, I can enjoy my music DVD's over ethernet. I am a musicphile not a videophile ... so no Hollywood blockbusters in my collection

Part three of ethernet domination is to needle drop my vinyl at 24/96 (purely as an archival/backup option).

So with multiple disk drive copies (including offsite) of my audio and video (and at some point vinyl), should the worst happen... I am covered.

Regards,

Peter

PS. I am also experimenting with a Kanex Pro audio HDMI de-embedder so I can get SP/DIF off HDMI into the BDA-1.

PSS. I will also try out some blu-ray music discs as well when time permits. From what I can see, DVD-V audio, even those disks with just stereo LPCM as the only audio track,  max out at 48k.