Dodd pre-amp sale to benefit Gary Dodd

Danny Richie

Dodd pre-amp sale to benefit Gary Dodd
« on: 3 Apr 2014, 07:54 pm »
Hey guys,

This belonged to a customer of Gary's. He didn't use it much. He went with a fully balanced system and it has been just sitting for a while. So he sent it to me to sale and give the proceeds back to Gary Dodd. Gary can really use it right and as he is still struggling to get back on his feet after the major heart surgery.

The original owner says it probably doesn't have 50 hours of use on it. This one was ordered it with a Mundorf silver in oil capacitors. And he added a 6H30DR NOS tube that's worth about $200. There is no remote control with this unit but Gary told me this morning that he can provide one. This one is also one of the units that is set up for 15db of gain.

Asking $1,200 or best offer...  How about it guys?

As you can see this one is really good looking.

Danny Richie

Re: Dodd pre-amp sale to benefit Gary Dodd
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2014, 09:33 pm »
Guys, now is your chance to get one of these great pre-amps and help out a guy that really could use it at the same time.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2014, 08:28 pm »
Still available guys. Make offer...

Cheeseboy

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm »
I wanna testify!

I have one of those at home in my system. 

The Gen2 battery preamp from Dodd Audio is awesome and a steal at $1200.  Add the 6H30DR and it sings. 

Get the remote.  I bet Gary has made one in a similar toned wood for you.   

Danny, do you still use the Gen 2 Dodd preamp at shows to demonstrate your speaker designs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2014, 10:35 pm »
Gary offered to make the new owner a remote.

And yes, I use one of these pre-amps at shows. I don't know of a better pre-amp regardless of cost.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:17 pm »
FYI I didn't get the Mundorf Cap upgrade.  I wasn't aware about it at the time.  I paid $200 for the 6H30dr tube and I paid $1700 for my Dodd..  This is an almost new unit for $700 off plus the cap upgrade. 

It's a great deal!

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm »
FYI I didn't get the Mundorf Cap upgrade.  I wasn't aware about it at the time.  I paid $200 for the 6H30dr tube and I paid $1700 for my Dodd..  This is an almost new unit for $700 off plus the cap upgrade. 

It's a great deal!

It is a really great deal.

There is a new upgrade that Gary tried out on mine that really improved the imaging. It had to do with some expensive resistors. I don't know if Gary has officially offered it yet. And I splurged and put the Jupiter caps in mine. Love them...

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:48 pm »
Gary put those resistors in mine, I assume they are the same.  He offered me a resistor upgrade when I was ordering the preamp in Sept or Oct last year, and I went with it.  Now that the unit with it's Mundorf caps is broken in, sounds wonderful with great imaging.

StereoNut

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2014, 11:51 pm »
if I didn't already own a 4 tube 12B4A Dodd pre, I'd buy this one!  I don't know how they'd compare, but I know two things: (4) 12B4A's  for my pre cost much less than one good 6H30DR and my pre is the only 12B4A version Dodd pre with the variable gain in it.

I've had my Dodd pre for over a year now and LOVE it!

SN

Skiman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2014, 06:36 pm »
O.K., I'm interested. I'd like to know two things though. 1. Cost for a remote (volume only). 2. Recommendations for a battery/charger. This would replace my Pass Labs X-1 preamp. Better that that?

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2014, 06:51 pm »
O.K., I'm interested. I'd like to know two things though. 1. Cost for a remote (volume only). 2. Recommendations for a battery/charger. This would replace my Pass Labs X-1 preamp. Better that that?

Gary said he had a remote in Maple already. He'll throw that in for whoever buys it.

I recommend one of the 100 amp hour AGM batteries. The Power Sonic has become a favorite and is common to golf cart businesses. The charger that you'll want is one of the C-Tek chargers. The battery and charge is less than a good power cable.

Yes, you'll like it better.

Skiman

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2014, 11:30 pm »
Some more questions-does the preamp come with a cable to connect to the + and - terminals on a 12V battery? How long is it?  If not, what type of cable is needed? How long will a 100 AH battery power it?

jparkhur

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm »
I'm sure Danny or Gary have the cable. It's very simple and a good length.  I have a 100 ah battery and left it unplugged for two weeks with a few things plugged in to it.  If it's just the pre. You will be fine when a hurricane hits and don't have power for two to three weeks of on and off listening.  I didn't even realize mine was unplugged until my hard drives cycled down and blinked at me.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2014, 12:28 am »
This pre-amp comes with the battery cable.

The 100 amp hour battery will allow you to play for several days before needing a recharge. If you have one of the little C-Tek chargers on it then you never have to worry about it anyway. It will keep the battery topped off all of the time.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:01 pm »
Good morning guys. This is an awesome deal on a really fine preamp!
It will come complete and I will even supply a remote with it free .
I will install the new volume controller and supply a matching remote.
All the new owner has to do is supply the battery and charger and then enjoy.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:30 pm »
Hey Gary! Hope you get well soon!  We are all pullin for you.

I use the Cetek - 3300 trickle charger on my battery.   There is a higher end unit that some say is better.  I don't know why.

Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2014, 05:06 pm »
Hey Gary! Hope you get well soon!  We are all pullin for you.

Steve

Ditto, great to see you getting  back  up and at it :thumb:

I contacted my cousin who had previously been interested in  my  integrated setup to if it would be at all possible if I could move to something like this but iunfortunately t's not going to happen at this point.

-jay

Skiman

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2014, 06:27 pm »
It is sold!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2014, 08:31 pm »
Congratulations. I would have loved to have had it and started a tube setup for 2.1 listening but I just could not swing it at this time.

Mike

SlushPuppy

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm »
Congrats! That's a drool-worthy preamp!