Acoustic Wedge Foam behind speakers detrimental?

Lost81

« on: 18 Aug 2004, 02:02 am »
Hey guys/gals,

I put up 1.8' x 6' of 1" thick acoustic wedge foam behind each of my speakers, and it sounds like most of the midrange bass has disappeared.

Any ideas?

Mission recommends a minimum of 20 cm (8") between the back of the speakers and the rear wall. Previously, the distance was 13.5". Now that I added the 1" acoustic wedge foam + 1/4" foam backing board, it has been reduced to 12.25". Could this be the reason?

I might try moving the speakers out more tonight.

Thanks!

-Lost81

eico1

« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 02:45 am »
Rather than decreasing the distace, I would think the foam increases the effective 'acoustical' distance behind your speakers. Just extrapolating that foam inside a speaker cabinet makes the effective volume larger.

But if not to reduce the bass slapping of the rear wall, why did you put it there?

steve

Lost81

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:06 am »
Quote from: eico1
Rather than decreasing the distace, I would think the foam increases the effective 'acoustical' distance behind your speakers. Just extrapolating that foam inside a speaker cabinet makes the effective volume larger.

But if not to reduce the bass slapping of the rear wall, why did you put it there?

steve

Hi steve,

Oh, i wanted more sound stage. The effect was that the further the speakers are from the wall, the greater the soundstage

-Lost81