Guidance in streaming HQ music

BoJonJovi

Guidance in streaming HQ music
« on: 2 Apr 2014, 04:12 pm »
I am in the process of upgrading my computer desktop stereo system. I am doing poultrygeists 100 dollar system found HERE

90% of my music is streamed from my computer, or my Nexus 7 pad into, at this point, just and average 2.1 Logitech sound system. Since I am doing this upgrade, I am thinking I can probably get much better sound from the computer to the system than I am currently. So I am wondering what I should do if anything.
Should I buy a dedicated sound card? Currently I just use what comes off my computer mother board or the 3.5 from the Nexus 7 pad.
Should I buy a USB DAC? Currently no DAC.
Should I buy a dedicated streaming device? I use a ROKU box for TV but I do not know if there is something similar for music.

I debated whether to post here or Cheap and Cheerful as I do not want to have over 100 bucks in any streaming upgrade. However if I can get a significant boost in sound quality for a small investment that would be great.

I should mention I do not know much about streaming other than I plug the cord into the back of my computer and play music. That is about the limit of my technical knowledge on the subject. Seriously.

So do you guys have any suggestions for me to clean up or improve my sound a bit without selling my firstborn?

BoJonJovi

Re: Guidance in streaming HQ music
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2014, 05:20 pm »
I am in the process of upgrading my computer desktop stereo system. I am doing poultrygeists 100 dollar system found HERE

90% of my music is streamed from my computer, or my Nexus 7 pad into, at this point, just and average 2.1 Logitech sound system. Generally I use Pandora and Rhapsody pay for services.  Since I am doing this upgrade, I am thinking I can probably get much better sound from the computer to the system than I am currently. So I am wondering what I should do if anything.
Should I buy a dedicated sound card? Currently I just use what comes off my computer mother board or the 3.5 from the Nexus 7 pad.
Should I buy a USB DAC? Currently no DAC.
Should I buy a dedicated streaming device? I use a ROKU box for TV but I do not know if there is something similar for music.

I debated whether to post here or Cheap and Cheerful as I do not want to have over 100 bucks in any streaming upgrade. However if I can get a significant boost in sound quality for a small investment that would be great.

I should mention I do not know much about streaming other than I plug the cord into the back of my computer and play music. That is about the limit of my technical knowledge on the subject. Seriously.

So do you guys have any suggestions for me to clean up or improve my sound a bit without selling my firstborn?