Any way to attach a sub to my 2-channel amp?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Any way to attach a sub to my 2-channel amp?
« on: 1 Apr 2014, 06:14 am »
I've got a Simaudio i3.3 integrated amp (100w/ch @ 8 ohm). It's a pretty decent amp that I am pretty happy with, but I sometimes wish I could add a nice subwoofer. There is no pre out on the back.

If I really want a sub, must I sell this amp to make way for a subwoofer capable amp/preamp (or integrated)? Is the no way around this?

I'm all eyes.  :o

Michael

srb

Re: Any way to attach a sub to my 2-channel amp?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:16 am »
Michael,

Looking at a Simaudio i3.3 amp, it appears that you do have a preamp output to feed a subwoofer.  On the back panel there is both a fixed (FIX) and variable (VAR) output, and the variable output would be your volume-controlled preamp output.

Is your amplifier different from this photo?

Steve

ricardojoa

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:23 am »
He might be looking for a mono sub out. But the variable preout can work as most sub will have its internal low pass.

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2014, 08:06 am »
 :duh: :duh: (I thought about clicking the  :duh: emoticon a dozen times...)

Steve,

Thank you! The back of my amp is the same. I am thrilled to learn I may add a subwoofer after all. I'm just a little irritated by the poor advice I was given by the 'knowledgeable' sales rep at a brick & mortar shop. Honestly, after that advice, I didn't look closely at the connections. My lesson for tonight is "Always learn everything about my electronics."

Hot Damn! Now I can rush out and buy a new sub....or try to tackle one of Danny's kits after I finish with his LGK speaker. Decisions. Decisions. No....not 'rush'....I need to carefully consider different models and sizes before I buy. I'll pay closer attention to subs while I am rubbernecking at Axpona.

Thank you, again, Steve.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2014, 09:21 am »
Another lesson:

In audio as in all retail, sales people aren't always "knowledgeable".

Over the past 40+ years into stereo/audio I've found more sales people that don't know crap.  That's been one advantage to the loss of Bricks and Mortar audio retailing.  Much better advice at shows or professional reviews.  Even AC has better advice (most days).

mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2014, 04:30 pm »
Another lesson:

In audio as in all retail, sales people aren't always "knowledgeable".

It's funny to me. I am totally aware of this. Whenever I walk into a retail store (for most anything), I keep my skepticism meter turned on. Yet, with audiophile stuff (and this particular store's sales force), the skepticism dropped its guard.

Over the past 40+ years into stereo/audio I've found more sales people that don't know crap.  That's been one advantage to the loss of Bricks and Mortar audio retailing.  Much better advice at shows or professional reviews.  Even AC has better advice (most days).

Since I joined AC in February of last year, I have learned so much about so many topics that I shake my head in wonder. In fact, I've learned enough to know I don't know very much about this hobby's technical side. I'm really enjoying the ride though as I get to listen to amazingly high quality music. I'm really looking forward to Axpona.

A BIG THANK YOU!! to the incredible generosity of knowledgeable folks and great dealers/manufacturers here at Audio Circle. :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2014, 05:34 pm »
If you get a REL subwoofer, you can connect it "high level".  This means you run a wire (supplied by REL) from your main amp outputs to the subwoofer inputs.  This means ANY amp, integrated, or receiver can be used.  Only requirement is that it has amp outputs...which they all do. 

I have used REL subs this way.  They are good subs, and very easy to hook up and implement.

The connectivity, and theoretical benefits of such an approach, are detailed here:

http://rel.net/support/rel-connectivity/

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:03 pm »
Look at what I found while really reading the Simaudio i3.3's manual:

"The MOON i 3.3 integrated amplifier also has two pairs of non-amplified outputs labeled ‘FIX’ and ‘VAR’, located next to the A3/P input. The ‘FIX’ output is intended as an input to a recording device such as a cassette tape deck or CD-Recorder Player. Keep in mind that the output level is fixed and cannot be adjusted by the i 3.3’s volume control. The ‘VAR’ output is designated for output to a power amplifier with single-ended RCA inputs in the event that you wish to use your MOON i 3.3 as a preamplifier only. Keep in mind that the output level is variable and adjusted by the i 3.3’s volume control."

It seems a little reading goes a long way.

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2014, 07:08 pm »
Sunnydaze,

Thanks! REL subs are on my short list of subwoofers to look into. I hope to start a new subwoofer thread (to get as much input as possible) tomorrow.

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2014, 12:26 am »
I finally hooked up my subwoofer to my 2-channel system. It works! Oh, it needs to be adjusted but I'm delighted to have it working.

A big  :thumb: to all who patiently helped me.

Thank you!!