Neat Jordan transmission line

JohnR

« on: 16 Feb 2003, 10:33 pm »
Here's a neat TL for the JX92s by Sheldon Stokes:

http://quadesl.com/tidytl.shtml

Nice compact floorstander. I'm about to do some work on a pair of sealed JX92 boxes, maybe this is one to try in the future with the same drivers.

Discussion thread on Madisound:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?read=237262

PeteG

« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2003, 03:07 am »
JohnR
  Very interesting driver, how big will your sealed boxes be.
could these be small enough to be use for computer speakers.
                                    -Pete

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2003, 07:12 am »
Hi Pete, they will be 12 liters, mostly because I am using some panels I had cut for something else :oops: The Jordan website says down to 3L for sealed. However for computer speakers I think the Tangband W3-881s (Parts express) makes a nice inexpensive speaker, apparently the W3-871s (nuera.ca) is good too.

Brian Bunge

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2003, 06:14 pm »
John,

You should really hear the TB 871S.  I had a chance to hear a pair of them at the Atlanta DIY event last October.  I've built several small speakers with the 879S and I can tell you the 871S is definitely a nicer sounding driver.

The ones I heard at the DIY event were in old Radio Shack sealed enclosures that couldn't have been more than 1L internally.  They were running off of the high pass outputs of a Parts Express Dayton DLS 10" sub (only $99) and I can tell you the sound was truly amazing.  The little 871S's are great little drivers and the Dayton sub is THE best sounding sub I've heard in the <$300 range.  It easily bests the Sony sub that everyone raves about on the various forums for musicality and even extends lower with slightly better output.  

Talk about a <$200 2 channel system for a small bedroom or for computer use! :)

DrDave

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2003, 12:11 am »
I use Jordans as computer speakers.  They are great but more money than most want to spend for computer speaks.

They are in a 10.2 l ported box

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2003, 06:19 am »
Hm, maybe I should make another "rat coffin" using the 871s...

Brian Bunge

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2003, 03:57 pm »
John,

I'd imagine it would sound better than the little 3" poly cones you used in the last ones.  You might even be able to do a direct drop in replacement.  At least they're cheap!  Actually, I'm probably going to switch from the 879 to the 871.  The 871 will actually be a few bucks more expensive than my dealer cost for the 879's, but it's worth the added expense, IMHO.