bbq competitions

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
bbq competitions
« on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:10 am »
for those that have never been to a bbq competition you owe it to yourself.  here in texas you can go and volunteer to judge or just walk around all day drinking beer and stealing secrets. always after i leave one i have to fire up the smoker.

tasty ribs

non sauced

marvda1

Re: bbq competitions
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:25 am »
some competition pictures.

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2014, 06:40 am »
I'll have to add a bbq competition to my bucket list  8)

carmagff

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm »
We have refused to grilled dishes except fish :)
Now relaxing on the nature we need coals, bowler, sand & foil. Just fill bowler by sand by a half, put meal wrapped in foil inside the bowler and fill the reminder of bowler by sand. Put it on hot coals & get boiled meat in its own juice preserving all the nutrients. Can add lime to your taste ;)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2014, 03:57 am »
I'd love to try my hand at competition someday.  I have a Smokin-It #3 electric smoker and a Traeger, and each is better for certain things.  As much as the old UDS is traditional it seems like pellet poopers win most of the comps now.  I do a lot of smoking but I would probably get waxed at a competition!  But that's the way to learn.

marvda1

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2014, 04:43 am »
I have seen maybe one or two pellet smokers at competitions.  mostly offset stick burners but insulated vertical are becoming more popular because you don't have to do a lot of work.  I know one that will go 15 to 20 hours on a 20lb. bag of charcoal.