Dynavector 20x2l Review - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Dynavector 20x2l Review - Video
« on: 30 Mar 2014, 03:46 am »
Hey folks,

For those interested, we just published our latest review of the Dynavector 20x2l Moving Coil Cartridge. For those interested in the blurb and written conclusion, check it out below this link.

http://newrecordday.com/dynavector-20x2-l-phono-cartridge/

"While I personally haven’t heard much in the way of competition to the Dynavector, they better bring their A-Game, because this is simply the best cartridge I have ever heard. It’s presentation is as up front and dynamic as it gets, and I found the 20xl to provide even-handed resolution across the entire audio spectrum. Bass is where the cartridge stands out. This thing loves to show off the thump. If your system is on the leaner side and you want some meat on the bones, look no further. Valued at $850, the Dynavector is a serious buy and while the value is certainly there, you’ll need to take this into consideration."

Thanks!

New Record Day -vinyl reviews and more

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Dynavector 20x2l Review - Video
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:46 am »
If I can make a suggestion or two?  Hope you take this as constructive.

Your video is a tease and not in a good way.  I saw you drop the needle twice and heard nothing but talk.  What's the point of a video review, for you to become a movie star?  You have an advantage over a written review, but you don't take that advantage.  An experienced reviewer has a frame of reference for comparison and the vocabulary to describe attributes or shortcomings.  You have something they don't, sound.  Why don't you find a short passage that seems particularly revealing, and make a digital recording?  You could even compare it to a recording of another cart playing the same passage through the same equipment.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  You can paint a brief sound picture.

I saw a headphone unboxing video once, out of curiosity.  It was a waste of eight minutes of my life.  You only spent a minute or two opening the cart, but the one thing of real interest, the frequency response graph, was set aside without comment.  The only specs of interest (for a brief look) are output voltage/recommended termination, and VTF/compliance.  The former tells you about suitable phono stage and the later about arm compatibility.  A beauty shot of the cart only needs a few seconds.

Rather than hear you say "wow" after each needle drop, show me.  Give me a little something to hear to peak my curiosity.  I think you'll get many more views.
neo

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:59 am »
Got to agree with Neo.  After several "Wow!"s without hearing anything all it tells me is that it's better than the cartridge that you are currently using.  I clicked away halfway into the video.  I'm sure you mean well, but I trust my ears more than someone's rave review.  Share what you hear  and compare to your reference system.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:03 am »
Neo and S Clark,

First of all, I wanted to thank you both for taking the time to share your thoughts about this review, it means a lot to me and I am grateful you were honest in sharing your concerns. I totally get what both of you are saying and I won't pretend to be an expert reviewer so this kind of feedback is invaluable.

I wanted to ask some logistical questions about your suggestions and see if I can start moving in a direction that makes sense. I like the idea of recording clips for you guys. In fact, this is something I have wanted to do but the truth is, I don't know how best to do it and it might just come down to buying the right gear to do it well. Would you prefer to have a digital recording like Neo suggested or would you prefer a recording using a field recorder in the listening position?

Another challenge I am always worried about is music licensing with YouTube and Google. Ill need to do some research but I believe I cannot just play clips on these recordings without the Google police raining on my parade.

Thanks again for the feedback, it means a lot to me.

Ron and Sarah
www.newrecordday.com -vinyl reviews and more

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:53 am »
Keep it digital.  You're in a digital medium and you have a decent phono stage.  Other audiofools don't have your speakers and it will sound different on their systems.  Some people have their PC hooked up to their main system or good speakers and can get an idea of how it sounds on their set-up.

I'm not the best person to advise on exactly how to do it.  I've read of people using a digital recorder and others recording on their PC if they have the right sound card etc.  By all means use your JC3.

Get permission.  There are probably bands out there that will let you use a snippet or two if you mention the name of the band.  It's free promotion.  It seems to me I've listen to lots of jazz on the tube and I doubt if royalties were paid.  Maybe it has something to do with how old the stuff is and who wrote the tune.  You might want to consider acoustic music as well as electric.  You could record whole albums and find the part that seems most revealing.  Seems pretty cool with a lot of potential.  Make it interesting and they will come.
neo 

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm »
Ron,

Thanks for posting the review of the Dynavector 20XL2 cartridge.  I found it informative and it appears that you were quite taken by this cart.  I always find it helpful to listen to "review samples" of the same music (either CD, SACD, or vinyl) that I have listened to many, many times.  To my ears, this is the best way to dial into differences and determine strengths and weaknesses.  That said, incorporating two or three digital music snippets of well mastered music would be helpful.  I would also suggest, especially with cartridges and turntables, ease of difficulty of set up.  This is an important factor particularly if folks are buying equipment via the internet.

I upgraded my old Dynavector 10X4 cartridge to the 20XL2 about one year ago.  I use it in conjunction with a Nottingham Interspace turntable with a VPI modified Rega 300 arm and Dynavector P75MKII phono preamp.  I really like the 20XL2.  It is very dynamic, has very low tracking noise, and most importantly is very musical in my system.

Look forward to your further reviews.

NB