Cables and Power Cords

SnapperHawk

Cables and Power Cords
« on: 16 Feb 2003, 09:58 pm »
Wayne

I find your cables and power cords to be really interesting and quite affordable. I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer for me.

In the area of power cables, where do you feel the best improvement in sounds comes from? For example, is it more important to have a "good" power cord going to the amplifier? Peamp? CD player/transport? Etc? The reason I ask is that I cannot tell the differences in power cords as easily as I can with an interconnect. There I can tell a very big difference, usually in the dynamics and possible sound stage. I say possibly because to me they are interconnected. I really haven't listened to enough different systems to be able to tell the nuances of the different cables, but I can tell the difference between a really good one and an average one. Which brings me to my second question. For interconnect cables, do you think it more important to match them for your system (or between certain components in your system), or to the music you listen to? I know that in many cases this is roughly the same thing, but which would you do?

Thanks much. Now a more difficult question. What is the major difference between you Type 2 power cord and the Nitro?

Jeff

Wayne1

Cables and Power Cords
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2003, 04:58 pm »
Jeff,

I have found the most differences in power cables to be audible when used on the front end components. The first place I would change out a power cable is on the CD transport, then D/A if any, and then the preamp.

The power amp would be the last component to upgrade power cables.

Interconnects and speaker cables are very interrelated with the gear and speakers you are using. When you change one piece, the whole sound of your system changes. If you are pretty set on what speakers you are going to use, then I would try to use cables that bring out the best sound from them.

If you use VMPS, for example, you can adjust the sound of the speakers to bring out the best of the cables. It that case, I would try to use the most musical and accurate cables and then adjust the speakers so that the sound is pleasing to you.

Here are a couple of links to some reviews people have done comparing the Type 2 and the NITRO power cable:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=364

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9385