Nebraska

ajzepp

Nebraska
« on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:47 pm »
I've been trying to get caught up on some of the films I missed that were nominated for Oscars...really enjoyed The Wolf of Wall Street...loved American Hustle...but the one that really blew me away was Nebraska. The critics loved it, but I saw quite a few consumer reviews that took shots at the movie, but I couldn't disagree more. I connected with the characters, the setting, and the story more so than just about any film I have seen over the last several years. What a beautiful piece of film making

martyo

Re: Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:13 pm »
I totally agree with you. My wife thought it was depressing, I didn't think so at all. Although I have always liked Bruce Dern, often it seemed to me he was "Bruce Dern portraying so-and-so", like Pacino and DeNiro can be, but he WAS the character in this film. Very very enjoyable film.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:22 pm »
I totally agree with you. My wife thought it was depressing, I didn't think so at all. Although I have always liked Bruce Dern, often it seemed to me he was "Bruce Dern portraying so-and-so", like Pacino and DeNiro can be, but he WAS the character in this film. Very very enjoyable film.

Well said...he really did come off as authentic in that role. And I'm really glad they didn't go with some cliche ending. I felt it was amazingly well done from start to finish.

strateahed

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:32 pm »
I thought it was well done too. A candid view into the lives of real folks ... kind of like a reality show where the participants never knew the camera was running.

Mike B.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2014, 06:39 pm »
Nebraska is the best film I have seen from the 2013 awards crop. The family gathering was classic old time reality. Acting was first rate.

jhm731

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm »

Douger

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm »
I don't watch many movies, but living in Nebraska I had to catch it... It is very authentic, sometimes depressing but overall uplifting. It is based on
a true event. Director Alexander Payne is a native and very thoughtful and insightful. Another of his movies I recommend is 'Lovely, Still' dealing
with love and Alzheimers.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2014, 04:45 am »
I thought it was good-not-great.  June whatshername was brilliant, though.  I thought the cast was good and overall I enjoyed it (and it was good to see Oderkirk again).

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2014, 06:04 am »
Nebraska is the best film I have seen from the 2013 awards crop. The family gathering was classic old time reality. Acting was first rate.

Those scenes had a very profound impact on me...it reminded me SO much of the times my family and I would travel back to my hometown when I was a kid. The awkwardness in the film was affecting me as I was watching.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2014, 09:36 pm »
I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was unique, and scary good for how much it can touch you with fear and optimism for the humility of life.