Tempest with sub? question

charmerci

Tempest with sub? question
« on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:11 am »
(See new post below) I received my Tempest this afternoon. (The set sold by LFE here.)

Sounds really nice.  :thumb:   (The thing sure is big and heavy!)

Is there any way to do a sub with this? (The pre-amp only has one line-out set and my amp only has one pair of outputs.)
« Last Edit: 4 May 2014, 02:24 am by charmerci »

Phil A

Re: Tempest question
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:49 am »
The sub should have speaker level inputs so you can double up the amp outputs.  The biggest thing is the crossover built into the sub, your main speakers and the room

charmerci

Re: Tempest question
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:13 am »
The sub should have speaker level inputs so you can double up the amp outputs.  The biggest thing is the crossover built into the sub, your main speakers and the room

Oh, the speakers to the level in, then the level outs to the monitors.  :duh:

But if the sub amp or crossover is not very good then I'll hear it in the monitors.  :?

charmerci

Re: Tempest with sub? question
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:51 am »
Never mind. I'm OK with dual stacking banana plugs on my system.

charmerci

Re: Tempest with sub? question (modified....pt 2!)
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2014, 01:19 am »
So now I have a Y connector going out from the right RCA pre-out (one going to the amp and the other to the sub.)

Seems to sound OK. Is this the way to do it? Is this imbalance going to cause any problems for the amp/pre-amp? Should I get another Y connector to hook it up to the left one to the sub also?

(Edit - never mind. I got my answer on another thread. Going the double Y connector route.)
« Last Edit: 4 May 2014, 02:23 am by charmerci »

Hadro

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2014, 12:26 pm »
I did that on a Cyclopes and it worked fine.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2014, 05:23 pm »
I did that on a Cyclopes and it worked fine.

Thanks.

I find that I need to reverse the phase on the sub 180 degrees though. Otherwise, I get a lot of low "woooo" bass.