Acoustic panel rip offs

drummermitchell

Acoustic panel rip offs
« on: 20 Mar 2014, 12:53 am »
I find this hard to fathom,
A few months ago I ordered  12 acoustic panels and shipping was around 30%.
Fine,I'm used to 25-30%.
Just ordered four panels and the FN rate is over 50%,WTF.
Either the acoustic company is grabbing more coin or the courier's are.
Pure BS,no wonder people get pissed.
Our old premier said it best,
Shoot,Shovel and shut up.
I emailed the company that I have been buying my latest panels from to see WTF is going on.
Anyone thinking of ordering acoustic panels better check on shipping as it could be an extra 20% more than you figured.

drummermitchell

Re: Acoustic panel rip offs
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:16 am »
Looked at the figures again for this order,
809.98(panels)
543.34(shipping) :roll: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:.
There I feel better now

putz

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:28 am »
I ordered two 24"x48"x4" Bass Trap panels in December and the charge to ground ship them from FL to NJ was $38. They were well packed and arrived unharmed.

Shipping charges should be disclosed before you hit the order button. Not sure what your point here is except buyer beware.

AKLegal

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:34 am »
Hard to tell without you telling us who you are buying from because this sounds specific to the seller and/or the distance between you two.  Not all sellers are that expensive when it comes to shipping.  In fact with one in particular I can order twenty four 4x24x48 inch panels and shipping is around $295.

oledude

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2014, 04:53 am »
Size of the shipping boxes drives the pricing more than the weight. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2014, 05:16 am »
That sounds like shipping rip off not accoustic panels rib off.
Also, is this international shipping? You can see your shipping cost prior finalizing your purchase.
There are some acoustic panels company that are actually quiet expensive but thats another topic wether you should spend extra for the fancy ones.

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2014, 05:35 am »
Size of the shipping boxes drives the pricing more than the weight.

+1

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm »
I have bought from the same company before and like was mentioned,probably is the Neanderthal courier company.
I live up in Canada and I know its more costly to ship than living in the US.
It doesn't seem to add up to me say if my first order came in at:
#1: 2,600(panels)
      962(shipping)
Roughly 30% to ship,I find that not a problem as that seems to be around the 25-30% range when shipping from the US to Canada.
What urks me is I placed a SMALLER order(4 panels) compared to the above(12 panels) nad the shipping price is MORE,
809.98(panels) and then well OVER 50% for shipping for a small order.
Boxes are basically 2'X4'(2)and 2'X2'(2).
You would think that for the 12 boxes shipping would be 1300+ if you compare it to the last four boxes.
I should find out today what's up.
This last order was thru fedex,which the acoustic company hasn't shipped yet(April 9).
Seems like the Couriers just throw a number out there.
Perhaps I can get a cheaper quote as this doesn't seem right at all to me.
Should mention that the acoustic company I now deal with has searched for different quotes before for me.
Just venting a bit,we'll see what happens today.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2014, 01:53 pm »
How FAR up in Canada?  Sled dog country?   :lol:

If Fedex delivers up there, set up your own account and use that number.  Saves a lot of money .

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2014, 02:06 pm »
Can't speak to the shipping quote as not our order, but we have shipped to Don in the past and he lives WAY OUT in the country. It is not cheap to get him things. In fact we joked that perhaps we might have to use a dog sled.  :lol:

putz

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2014, 05:48 pm »
Glenn,

Maybe you can recommend a Canadian panel maker to Don to see if that would save him some $$.

What this really cries out for is a DIY solution. If it were me, I would certainly go that route. But I'm a cheap bastard, so YMMV.

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2014, 06:02 pm »
How far up north,as Johnny Horton use to sing...way up north(not Alaska).
Actually north of Edmonton Alberta,a few hours by how the crow flies.
Found out that small orders are usually more than big orders :o as far as shipping,which doesn't make sense at all to me.
For the next one I'll look into a Fedex acct,course now I believe I'm almost done,course I have said that before with audio and acoustics.
It's only money after all,thanks for all the feedback guys,now where are those damn dogs.......mush you sons of beeeaches :duh:.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2014, 06:55 pm »
That's ****ed up. In no way would I accept those charges. For 1400 I should be stumbling over basstraps.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2014, 07:12 pm »
Found out that small orders are usually more than big orders :o as far as shipping,which doesn't make sense at all to me.

Kind of sounds like they did not charge you enough the first time so trying to make it up.  :scratch:

I'll look into a Fedex acct,course now

Always worth a try but anytime a customer tries to use their Fedex number shipping our stuff they find out pretty quick our rates are not so bad. Helps your rates when a semi pulls up to your place daily to pick up shipments.  :green:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2014, 07:40 pm »
Have you tried ordering form a canadian company?
We use: http://www.primacoustic.com/

You could contact them to see who the closest dealer is.
We are located in the interior of BC, but there should be one closer to you.