Original Super 3 Retrofit/Upgrades

roscoe65

Original Super 3 Retrofit/Upgrades
« on: 19 Mar 2014, 07:00 pm »
I have a pair of the original Super # (Beech veneer, wide baffle, non magnetic grills, Fostex drivers) that have been collecting dust for a bit.  I've been instructed to thin the herd and focus on one or two systems in the house.  I have vintage rig in the living room (Kenwood KA 7100/KT7500/KD550 with Dynaco A25XL/KLH6) but am looking to put up a more focused, smaller dedicated rig.

I am using a Superphon Revelation Pro Basic with Black Gate mods with a Monarchy Audio SM-70Pro.  I'm thinking of updating the Omegas and adding one or two sealed subs.

Can anyone recommend reasonable upgrades for the Omegas that do not involve wholesale replacement?

Thanks,
Randy

raysracing

Re: Original Super 3 Retrofit/Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2014, 02:08 am »
I put the RS5 drivers in mine and use them with a couple subs.  The subs can't keep up I guess, but the system sounds awesome regardless.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:52 pm »
roscoe65,

If your speakers use the 4.5" Fostex driver, the new RS5 driver will be a drop in replacement, not to mention an incredible transformation in sound.
A very economical upgrade, with huge benefits.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:57 pm »
Agreed. I couldn't imagine a bigger bang-for-the-buck upgrade.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:30 pm »
Hi roscoe65,

Many thanks for the post and I agree with everyone that the RS5's will transform your speakers. The best upgrade and a drop in.

Thanks,
Louis