7.1 Processor with AVA Gear

Sonix

7.1 Processor with AVA Gear
« on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:44 am »
Was just curious what people are using for a 7.1 processor or
receiver in conjunction with AVA gear for a dual purpose room.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
Re: 7.1 Processor with AVA Gear
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2014, 06:11 am »
Outlaw Model 975

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:04 am »
I have a Nuforce AVP-18 hooked up to a Synergy 240/3 amp. It works quite well. I have no experience with the Outlaw model, so I am unable to offer thoughts on a comparison. My combo is a huge improvement over my Denon AVR 2113ci. I have an Oppo 103 as well.

resonance

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:00 pm »
For 7.1 HT, have OPPO 105 used as a pre-amp. Connects to AVA Fet Valve pre and via HT bypass to a pair of AVA 600Rs for the front L/R Salk SS12s. The 105 also connects directly to an AVA 400R for the surround Salk SS M7s. The 105 finally connects also directly to a Synergy Double Die 240/3 for the Salk SS C7 Center and the rear surround Infinity speakers. The OPPO 105 can also use Neural 6 DSP on any CDs to make a osurround sound listening experience. For Hi-Rez 2 channel from computer files, am using JRiver MC 19 to an exaSound E20 DAC to the AVA Fet Valve pre to the 600Rs. Does all my WAV 24/96, 24/192 plus DSD64 and double DSD.

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:34 pm »
Anthem D2V was paired with my AVA gear for a long time.  I have Insight 240s and an Ultra 550 for L/R (now for sale for $850 as I have gone a different way on the L/R amp because of my wife's heat complaints).  The Ultra 550 sounds amazing and really can drive my HT2-TLs from Salk.

Shawn

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:53 pm »
Phono  -
Radio -
Music server -
Outlaw 975 front speaker line out -
       AVA FET Valve Pre Amp
       AVA FET Valve Pre Amp
       AVA FET Valve Pre Amp
       AVA FET Valve Pre Amp

TV  HDMI output ARC (Audio Return Channel) -
Oppo 103 HDMI output -
Computer HDMI output -
  Outlaw 975
  Outlaw 975
  Outlaw 975

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2014, 03:52 pm »
When I had my combo 2 ch/HT setup (5.1) in operation it was pretty much the same as WGH's except I have an Outlaw 990, and Ultra EC AVA Pre. Nice unit, pre-dates the 975, only thing is it also 'predates' HDMI. It has any other connection you can think of, but HDMI was just coming into it's own when the unit was released. Given design predates release they hadn't incorporated it in the design phase.

Nocturne79

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:56 pm »
Hey there I use a marantz av7701 for HT and tv and when I listen to audio 2 channel I use fet vavle dac, fet preamp and syngergy 240/3.  I like this setup very much to be honest

strat95

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2014, 12:20 am »
For 7.1 HT, have OPPO 105 used as a pre-amp. Connects to AVA Fet Valve pre and via HT bypass to a pair of AVA 600Rs for the front L/R Salk SS12s. The 105 also connects directly to an AVA 400R for the surround Salk SS M7s. The 105 finally connects also directly to a Synergy Double Die 240/3 for the Salk SS C7 Center and the rear surround Infinity speakers. The OPPO 105 can also use Neural 6 DSP on any CDs to make a osurround sound listening experience. For Hi-Rez 2 channel from computer files, am using JRiver MC 19 to an exaSound E20 DAC to the AVA Fet Valve pre to the 600Rs. Does all my WAV 24/96, 24/192 plus DSD64 and double DSD.

resonance,

That sounds like an amazing setup!!  I'm a little confused how everything is connected though.

How are you using the OPPO as a pre-amp?  My guess is the OPPO analog outputs are directly connected to the other AVA amplifiers just as the AVA 400R is?
Your AVA pre can only handle 2 inputs for HT bypass yet you are using 2 AVA 600Rs for your front L/R?

My guess is the OPPO analog outputs are directly connected to the other AVA amplifiers just as the AVA 400R is?

Then the exaSound is connected to all your gear as well for surround?  How is that done?

TV

resonance

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2014, 01:04 am »
Strat95,
Thanks for your question. Notice that I am using 2 pre-amps. The crucial one is the AVA Fet Valve. It's two inputs are occupied by, first the special analog L/R unbalanced output from the OPPO 105 and second the exaSound E20 DAC. If the first or OPPO input is selected on the Fet Valve, I use the HT ByPass switch and don't even turn on the Fet Valve using it as a passive Pre. The volume is controlled by the OPPO no matter whether the OPPO is in stereo or multi-channel mode. If the second or E20 DAC is selected, of course the OPPO is turned off and the Fet Valve is turned on and the HT Bypass is off. The volume can then be controlled by either the DAC or the AVA Pre. Then I use an output wiring secret revealed to me by Dean in Frank's shop that allows hooking up two 600Rs to the AVA Fet Valve so that my Salk SS12s are bi-amped. Normal use of the 2 AVA outputs would use one of the top and bottom vertical output pairs going to your amp in stereo mode to your front L/R speakers. Per Dean, I connect my two 600Rs this way.  One 600R 's pair of red plus black or white wires is connected to the two TOP outputs, the other pair to the two BOTTOM outputs. Then one 600R bi-amps the Right front speaker and the other 600R bi-amps the Left front speaker. The exaSound DAC connects only to an AVA Pre input for 2 channel listening and has no connection to the surround system.  The OPPO's 7.1 set of outputs are not used for the front L/R but only for the Center, Surrounds and Rear Surrounds, each directly connected to their respective amps, so your guess is correct in that regard. To make this all really awesome and outright overkill, I intend to replace the Infinity bookshelf rear surrounds with either of Salk's WOW1s or SILKS. I already have Jim Salk working on a pair of Rythmik 12 Subs to replace my 10 inch Infinity subwoofer to make this into a 7.2 system.
David

strat95

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:25 pm »
Strat95,
Thanks for your question. Notice that I am using 2 pre-amps. The crucial one is the AVA Fet Valve. It's two inputs are occupied by, first the special analog L/R unbalanced output from the OPPO 105 and second the exaSound E20 DAC. If the first or OPPO input is selected on the Fet Valve, I use the HT ByPass switch and don't even turn on the Fet Valve using it as a passive Pre. The volume is controlled by the OPPO no matter whether the OPPO is in stereo or multi-channel mode. If the second or E20 DAC is selected, of course the OPPO is turned off and the Fet Valve is turned on and the HT Bypass is off. The volume can then be controlled by either the DAC or the AVA Pre. Then I use an output wiring secret revealed to me by Dean in Frank's shop that allows hooking up two 600Rs to the AVA Fet Valve so that my Salk SS12s are bi-amped. Normal use of the 2 AVA outputs would use one of the top and bottom vertical output pairs going to your amp in stereo mode to your front L/R speakers. Per Dean, I connect my two 600Rs this way.  One 600R 's pair of red plus black or white wires is connected to the two TOP outputs, the other pair to the two BOTTOM outputs. Then one 600R bi-amps the Right front speaker and the other 600R bi-amps the Left front speaker. The exaSound DAC connects only to an AVA Pre input for 2 channel listening and has no connection to the surround system.  The OPPO's 7.1 set of outputs are not used for the front L/R but only for the Center, Surrounds and Rear Surrounds, each directly connected to their respective amps, so your guess is correct in that regard. To make this all really awesome and outright overkill, I intend to replace the Infinity bookshelf rear surrounds with either of Salk's WOW1s or SILKS. I already have Jim Salk working on a pair of Rythmik 12 Subs to replace my 10 inch Infinity subwoofer to make this into a 7.2 system.
David

David, thank you for the in depth explanation.

So dedicated 2 channel listening is done via both Oppo and exaSound.  Multichannel is only done via the Oppo.

I did not know that the Oppo can be used directly connected to amplifiers, bypassing a pre-amp altogether.

What benefit do you hear with the special connection of the two AVA 600R amps to the Salk SS12s?

I have to admit I did miss the detail in your original post that your ExaSound is only for 2 channel.   Exasound does have a multichannel DAC and I wonder if dual multichannel sources can be worked into a system such as yours without going to a multichannel Pre-amp and sticking with the 2 channel AVA?  Perhaps some sort of simple switching box would be necessary between the surround amps and the 2 sources (multichannel Oppo and multichannel ExaSound).

You mention you will soon be receiving dual Rhythmik 12 subs from Salk.  The Oppo only has one Subwoofer output and I'm curious how you would connect 2 subs?  Would they be connected as a stereo pair or would both be set up as mono?

Whatever the case you already have a fantastic sounding system that will only get better with your new additions.  I'm smiling imagining the beauty of it all.

Cheers,

Ted

resonance

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:03 am »
Ted,
Since the OPPO 105 has a volume control, no reason not to use it as a pre-amp. It has enough digital inputs but lacks any analog inputs like most pre's in case one would need to use it that way. Nor does it have automated processing capabilities or room correction like Audyssey XT32. So maybe not the best solution for most people. And also, if used stand alone, not the Fet Valve Hybrid or now the CF full valve exceptional sound from the AVA Pre.

I prefer to use the separate AVA amps that I have gradually acquired over time. Using an AVA 600R for each Salk SS12 would have the usual expected benefits of bi-amping with 600 watts into a 4 ohm speaker. Would that be 1200 watts if doubling down from 8 ohms? I read up about what other Audio Circle members were doing here and over on the Salk Circle and rationalized what would be ideal to do and went in that direction. As to what I hear, all I can say is that I think I get better sound. It is astounding!

Having dual multi-channel sources seems like too much complication to me. Despite what having 4separate AVA amps might imply, I prefer to simplify. Having an exaSound E28 for computer audio - I don't think so. I only have one David Elias multi-channel download and I transferred it to a USB thumb drive and plugged it into the OPPO's USB input and it works. Not interested in pursuing all it would take to rip my ton of SACDs just to get file playback.

Actually my next simplification is the OPPO 105D (arriving April 10th), the Darbee Edition because it has USB computer streaming capability including DSD64 and DSD128 - not sure about multi-channel. I would have to make special use of both the XLR and RCA analog outs on the 105D. I have adapters to convert the XLRs to RCA and then hope that I can do the same "Dean" trick to send dual Left RCA signals to the left 600R bi-amping it's SS12 and then dual Right RCA signals to the right 600R and SS12. Hopefully JRiver MC19 won't have a problem finding and streaming to the 105D. If this works, my combined 7.2 HT and 2 channel system will have only one Pre but 4 amps. I have a Salk StreamPlayer to complicate this system if it needs to be made to sound better. The AVA Fet Valve Pre and exaSound E20 along with the AVA 400R will then be relegated to upgrade my bedroom system with the very special Salk Exotica speakers. Oh well, will have to do with only a 5.2 HT system. Or get another 400R from Frank?

The two subs that Jim Salk is creating for me will NOT be a stereo pair. The base output from the AVA bi-amped pair of SS12s is stellar and does not need augmenting for 2 channel listening. The subs are for the HT or .1 but in this case, a .2 LFE multi-channel listening experience. The pair of Rythmik 12inch subs are being constructed to look exactly like my SS12 speakers' base cabinets - same three spikes, plinths and curvature at the top, same angel step maple burl veneer and coloring scheme and tint, only their hight will vary from the original according to the lessor required internal volume that Jim's sub modeling experience says is necessary. They are in "Final topcoat finish" stage on the Project Tracking system. The unusual thing about this pair of subs is that one of them is purely passive with a Rythmik 12inch silver cone and no binding posts except for what is called a Neutrix connector plug wired via a 24foot Neutrix wire in series with the plate amp on the main sub. This plate amp is Rythmik's HX800XLR3 with the Dual Driver Kit. Only one interconnect wire from the subwoofer or LFE output on the OPPO 105D goes into the plate amp. Normally this plate amp with the Dual Driver Kit provides 400 watts for each of two 12 inch drivers in the same cabinet but on opposite sides of the cabinet. Jim created the idea of putting one of the drivers in a separate cabinet wired by Neutrix with separate placement possibilities on opposite sides of the room to avoid nulls and such as a single placement spot might be heir to. Level matching of the two drivers would be easier this way with only one plate and set of adjustments needed. Clever, don't you think? Another plug for exceptional Salk customer service.

Sorry if this has gone far beyond the topic of 7.1 processing with AVA Gear. Does show interesting possibilities to get your AVA fix.
David

pansixt

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:54 am »
Just had to say that I could never do this at my home because I am strictly 2 channel, however, I would love to hear any multi channel system with AVA gear and especially with Maggies or Salk speakers. Would have to be amazing.

When I eventually get one of Franks powerful Hybrid amps, I can take it to jarcher's to experience this, but that may be a while. Unless someone decides to sell a used 400 or 600R soon. Which for obvious reasons we don't see happen often.

James

Tom Alverson

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2014, 03:16 pm »
Anthem D2V was paired with my AVA gear for a long time.  I have Insight 240s and an Ultra 550 for L/R (now for sale for $850 as I have gone a different way on the L/R amp because of my wife's heat complaints).  The Ultra 550 sounds amazing and really can drive my HT2-TLs from Salk.

Shawn

I had the Ultra 550 with double FETs and it did run pretty warm.  After I had it upgraded to the new 600R it now runs much cooler (and sounds distinctly better).