SS S7 - does it make sense

rick240

SS S7 - does it make sense
« on: 15 Mar 2014, 06:10 pm »
Dreaming about and saving for the ultimate HT/m-ch music upgrade, and thinking about this for a 5.2:

- L/R, SS M7
- C, SS C7
- LR/RR, ???
- subs, dual Salk/Rythmik

Things is the M7s are a bit big for surrounds, so I wondered...

...would configuring it W-T/M with woofer and front slot at the rear and tweeter over mid in front make sense?

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 12:56 am by rick240 »

jsalk

Re: SS S7 - does it make sense
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2014, 06:27 pm »
You would have to cross to the woofer very low (100 - 150Hz) to make that work.  If not, you would probably notice that the bass is coming from a different place.  And I don't think you'd want to play the Accuton mid that low.

- Jim

rick240

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2014, 06:38 pm »
Interesting, so the horizontal C-to-C of 7" or 8" is perceivable, bummer.

Since the speaker would be crossed to a sub at 80Hz, not much point having a woofer do 80-150 let alone the Accuton not being able to go that low.

Sigh, so the unfortunate answer is no it doesn't make sense  :cry:

Strange, because I'm sure I'd seen other W-T/M designs  :scratch:  I guess most are either poor designs, or cross really low the the woofer.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2014, 09:21 pm by rick240 »

rick240

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2014, 06:43 pm »
And I guess that that means most w-T/M won't make sense either? Is that right Jim?

Just a nice way to reduce the height of a surround speaker.

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2014, 08:15 pm »
How about a smaller woofer that can be used in sealed cabinet. Most likely a much smaller cabinet. It may still be taller then what sugested but then it is much shollower then what you would get from a woofer on the back with the mid and tweeters on the front baffle.

rick240

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm »
How about a smaller woofer that can be used in sealed cabinet. Most likely a much smaller cabinet. It may still be taller then what sugested but then it is much shollower then what you would get from a woofer on the back with the mid and tweeters on the front baffle.

I see that I didn't describe what I meant well - my apologies Jim and Ricardo.  :duh:

I meant back as in towards the rear of the room.

I am picturing removing one woofer and one port from the C7, and making the only port a slot under the woofer.

I wasn't thinking of the back of the speaker.

My bad  :oops:

Photo inserted in first post for clarity...
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 12:05 am by rick240 »

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:22 am »
That is a completely different story.  That might work with an appropriate crossover.

- Jim

ricardojoa

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:49 am »
I see that I didn't describe what I meant well - my apologies Jim and Ricardo.  :duh:

I meant back as in towards the rear of the room.

I am picturing removing one woofer and one port from the C7, and making the only port a slot under the woofer.

I wasn't thinking of the back of the speaker.

My bad  :oops:

Photo inserted in first post for clarity...

Im guessing the illustration drawings are for reference only, but i would guess that the woofer closer to the mid would be better. You might also consider a side slot port or just a round port.

rick240

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:16 am »
That is a completely different story.  That might work with an appropriate crossover.

- Jim

Sorry Jim, that's the story I meant all along - I guess I'm not a good story teller (better with crappy illustration added).

So, with a little Murphy-magic that configuration should work  :D  I now know my dream HT upgrade.

Well, when budget becomes closer to reality than the current fantasy it is, I'll have you guys explore it seriously. And if budget dictates lower, I have some other driver thoughts we could explore.

Thanks  8)
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2014, 04:02 am by rick240 »

rick240

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2014, 04:01 am »
Im guessing the illustration drawings are for reference only, but i would guess that the woofer closer to the mid would be better. You might also consider a side slot port or just a round port.

Yes, they are reference only (definitely not to scale).

Other port locations are possible, but not needed as the Accuton and the Raal are taller than the woofer plus a slot port.