Budget table considerations near $1k?

Coltrane1

Budget table considerations near $1k?
« on: 15 Mar 2014, 04:41 pm »
Hi all,

I'm searching for table-cartridge combo's near $1k. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

C1

mick wolfe

Re: Budget table considerations near $1k?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2014, 03:45 pm »
I believe VPI just introduced a table/arm in that range. I doubt if that includes a cart though. Beyond that it's the usual suspects.....Rega, Project, Music Hall, etc. One other interesting candidate well below your budget is the U-Turn. The basic model is under $200, but there is also a more deluxe version for around $400. Very basic, but it's gotten some decent reviews. There's always the used market as well, but that's a bit more dicey.

Wharf_Rat

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2014, 02:24 pm »
I'm by no means an expert, I think one solid option would be to jump into whatever Rega you can afford new or find used. With the Rega/limited budget, you can take comfort in the fact that there is a ridiculous number of incremental upgrades to be had for [relatively] cheap whenever you can afford it down the road. There is certainly an element of fun in the upgrade projects, although I'd try to enter the Rega line above the RP1 - go used if you have to. Consensus seems to be that while you can upgrade the RP1, the better units will benefit more from the upgrades.

There is a robust and fairly active community of owners in the Rega sub-forum of Vinyl Engine, and should you decide to move in that direction, they will be able to help.

Their is no shortage of affordable cartridge endorsements to be had there, but folks seem to love their Nagaokas on the Regas.

Good luck!

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2014, 04:22 pm »
Sounds like a safe direction. A Nagaoka cart of some ilk makes it even more intriguing. Maybe the MP300 if the budget allows.