Thanks Steve and Sturgis for the Foreplay demo.

G

« on: 16 Aug 2004, 01:18 pm »
Had a great time and confirmed my belief that so many people can't be wrong about the Foreplay. I have started ordering parts this morning. I'm thinking of using Alps pots instead of the TKDs. Are the TKDs worth the extra money Sturgis? Thanks again for your time. Also thanks to Fish for leaving his Holly Cole CD at my house. I enjoyed it yesterday while I was recovering from Saturday night :wink:  :wink:. Cheers.

steve k

« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2004, 03:22 pm »
My pleasure, Gavin. We had a feeling you'd be ordering them parts today. :lol: I posted the pics yesterday but for some reason, they didn't take. I'll try it again later. I brought the Holly Cole--brought the box home empty. Enjoy it. I think it's actually Willie's from the last get together at my place. I brought it along in case he showed up. We'll get it together later.
Cheers,
steve k

drummerwill

Holy Cow! .... Holly Cole?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2004, 08:01 pm »
Holy Cow, Superman.......... I mean Steve.
     That Holly Cole is not mine. I did leave a copy of my bands CD " Wake Up Call" at your place.  Been trying to give those things away, not that the 17 songs on it are that bad. We are just trying to get as many people to hear it as possible. So I'll sometimes leave a trail of CD's behind me. So it's yours now!

G, sorry I missed it. Was doing adult supervision while my S.O. was delivering my oldest to school in Florida. See ya next time.
   Willie

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2004, 08:29 pm »
The Case of the Missing Holly Cole CD, Chapter 2.

Aha! So the Wake Up Call was yours, Willie. That explains why you're playing drums on it. Just as I suspected! :o  :lol:

That leaves us with the Holly Cole CD. It has to belong to Vasu, Mike D, Paul or Sturgus then. Come on guys, fess up!

BTW, Foreplay pics are up from Gavin's party.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=373

steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2004, 09:59 pm »
Damn!  I thought I was finally gonna get a Holly Cole cd!  :?
 :P
And I have been remiss in thanking Sturgis and Steve as well for their provissions of preamps.
You guys never let up with tempting me to the 'darkside' with toobs.

I *really* liked the sound I was hearing in G's rig and y'all got me rethinking what ought to be in my room altogether and save the Bryston for another day.
But then again, I've got a plugged ear with an ear infection and it might have been coming on friday nite and I might need to check my hearing on those components again... :wink:

And unless I turn into a total slob who came with an appetite for music and food, a public thanks goes to Mo, G's wife who furnished some excellent spaghetti, salad and bread.  And a good breaking of it.

Thanks for some more experiences and insights on tubes, fellas.  
Now I just gotta go find some college course to figure out what your talking about.  :D

Regards,
DeadFish

sturgus

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2004, 03:28 am »
Hey G,
Thanks to you and your lovely wife for the great hospitality. Love the sound of your system. It has very good tone and balance. As far as the pots I trust John's ear when he says the TKD is a better pot than the alps. You may also want to take a look at these, if you will be running mono pots. http://www.goldpt.com/
As far as the Holly Cole it's not mine but will be glad to claim it. :D
It appears that Deadfish is slowly being drawn to Darkside. A few more sessions and the transformation will be complete. :lol: Gavin You may also want to check out John's site.
http://www.musicalconcepts.com
Sturgus

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2004, 04:47 am »
I think it's time for an all out frontal assault of Deadfish's Altecs with some SE amp artillery, let's say Scott's 2A3's, Willie's Frankenstein over even Gavin's EL34 sweetie. As our fearless leader says, "Bring it On". I'll be happy to bring the Foreplay along (as soon as I get rid of that nasty ground hum). :oops:  :roll:

What say you, Deadfish? :wink:

steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2004, 12:53 pm »
Well sure, Steve!

"Bring it on!"

Yeah, you might as well finish your dirty work and show me what these bad boys can do. Give it yer shot!
Guess we gotta schedule a slot to have y'all over and finish my love affair with solid state.  Like a first marriage, it lasted a few decades, but now I'm seeing the light that there are other fish in the sea, other legs to look at ... uh, ways to hear...hehehe

The dog is almost house trained now, so I can open up the room for listening again.  :D
Now, figure out how to pack y'all in here.

What kinda time frame you looking at?
I'm pretty open.  well, on nites and weekends.

I gotta go ahead at this so I can get settled and start building somethin'.

Looking forward!

DF

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2004, 03:36 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish
What kinda time frame you looking at?
I'm pretty open. well, on nites and weekends.

I should have the 300b here for about the next 3-4 weeks. If you are interested in giving it a listen and comparing it to say my 2a3, Gavins EL34 and maybe even Willies PP45 (assuming he can make it), just come up with a date.

As far as I know, I'm pretty free most any weekend day. Weeknights might be a little rough for me.

G

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2004, 09:00 pm »
Quote from: sturgus
Hey G,
Thanks to you and your lovely wife for the great hospitality. Love the sound of your system. It has very good tone and balance. As far as the pots I trust John's ear when he says the TKD is a better pot than the alps. You may also want to take a look at these, if you will be running mono pots. http://www.goldpt.com/
As far as the Holly Cole it's not mine but will be glad to claim it. :D
It appears that Deadfish is slowly being drawn to Darkside. A few more sessions and the transformation will be  ...

You are most welcome and thanks for the complements. I have decided to build a pair of VoltSeconds S5 attentuators. I ordered a couple of Grayhill switches and I think I will go with Rodersteins in the attenuators. I figure the total cost will be about $17 per attenuator. That works for me. Fish is doomed to tube heaven. :lol:  :lol:

G

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2004, 09:02 pm »
Well sure, Steve!

"Bring it on!"

Yeah, you might as well finish your dirty work and show me what these bad boys can do. Give it yer shot!
Guess we gotta schedule a slot to have y'all over and finish my love affair with solid state.  Like a first marriage, it lasted a few decades, but now I'm seeing the light that there are other fish in the sea, other legs to look at ... uh, ways to hear...hehehe

The dog is almost house trained now, so I can open up the room for listening again.  :D
Now, figure  ...

This Saturday works for me.

DeadFish

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:54 am »
I asked the wife and I *can* have people in this saturday, if y'all can make it.
I'll be happy to make directions available to all who can make it.

Sounds could be good!

Regards,
DF

steve k

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:26 pm »
What time Bill? I'll see if I can swing it.
steve k.

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2004, 03:39 pm »
Count me in. I should be good for the afternoon but I'll have to scoot somewhere between 5 & 6.

I'll bring the 300b and maybe a another SET or two. Guess we'll need a preamp too won't we? Maybe I'll bring the Korato or the Lazurus.

Hey G, are you going to bring your SET?

G

« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:20 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Count me in. I should be good for the afternoon but I'll have to scoot somewhere between 5 & 6.

I'll bring the 300b and maybe a another SET or two. Guess we'll need a preamp too won't we? Maybe I'll bring the Korato or the Lazurus.

Hey G, are you going to bring your SET?

Yeah I'll bring the sacrificial lamb to put up against the SETs. Should be interesting. Just let me know what time and how to get there.

DeadFish

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:14 pm »
How about high noon, saturday as a place to point to, if y'all can make it, thenabouts.
That'll let me get a few morning chores outa the way so that I carry a slightly lower load of guilt for the day. :wink:
I'll email out directions this evening, once I figure out where I am.

Bill

G

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2004, 12:39 am »
How about high noon, saturday as a place to point to, if y'all can make it, thenabouts.
That'll let me get a few morning chores outa the way so that I carry a slightly lower load of guilt for the day. :wink:
I'll email out directions this evening, once I figure out where I am.

Bill

Just point me in the right direction and I'll be there. If I can find Scott's house I can find yours. If you don't mind I would like to bring along the wood I have left from building my speakers and talk to you about building some speaker stands. I have a couple of design ideas I would like to run past you and your biscuit joiner :wink:.

DeadFish

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:41 am »
Okay, directions in the mail from my other address, so watch yer spam filters.   Anyone else thinking they want to or might make it, shout out and I'll get you directions.

I mentioned in email to a couple of you that if you are bringing an amp (or not) and have 2 meter or a little longer speaker cables you use, feel free to bring them.  The Altecs have some spring loaded little things under them, for pins or something, and that is what I have attached to some 12g monster I'm not too fond of.  My Synergistic Research for the Vandies have bayonetts and are outa the race.

Now before you get here, you gotta understand no white glove inspections.
There is plenty of dust and clutter in this house I've been playing with all my life, and we've grown attached...  :)

And don't forget to bring a few tunes you know so you can tell what these speakers 'bring to the party'.

See ya then!

Regards,
DF

sturgus

« Reply #18 on: 20 Aug 2004, 04:38 am »
Deadfish
I will try and make it if I get off early enough. So send me some of them directions. Hope I get to see you guys there.
Sturgus

DeadFish

« Reply #19 on: 20 Aug 2004, 10:59 am »
On the way, Sturgus!
Hope to see you there.
Bill