bookshelf speaker recommendations $1,000-1,500

wm

bookshelf speaker recommendations $1,000-1,500
« on: 14 Mar 2014, 10:26 pm »
I have been out of the audio scene for about 15 years and a lot has changed.  I was wondering what bookshelf speakers you would recommend in the $1,000-1,500 range.  I'm looking to add audio to the basement of my new home.  I will use these mostly for listening to music; I like everything from blues, to vocals, to heavy metal. I normally listen at a moderate level, but occasionally like to crank things up. I will also want to hook them up to a TV eventually, soon I hope, where they will probably see equal use.  I don't want to spend the money for a surround sound system in my basement, I just want something that sounds very nice in stereo.  No more than $2,500 total including speakers, amp, power, receiver, DAC (I just learned what this was 2 days ago!), wires, or whatever I need to listen to music and television with these.  I live in Montana and realize I may end up driving to Seattle or Denver to be able to listen to high quality speakers; I don't know of anywhere closer that stocks nice things.  So any help on a good starting point would be appreciated.

Thanks,
William

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: bookshelf speaker recommendations $1,000-1,500
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2014, 11:35 am »
Welcome back to the now.   :thumb:

Nowadays the proper term IMO is stand mount as almost no speakers are designed to sound good sitting in a bookshelf (bass gets muddy, imaging is severely limited).  On a shelf is a different story.  And with internet research you can find more value now than years ago (so don't dismiss less expensive options out of hand). There are some amazingly good options out there:

Ascend Acoustics (CBM-170SE, small 2-way, $330/pair, very well reviewed, finish is cheap vinyl but content value and sound quality is very high, I own the older version)

Gallo micro (4 inch spheres with single drivers, $400-650/pair depending on the model, flexible setup, sub needed for use beyond a desktop)

Omega (smallish conventional cabinet single driver designs, $600-1,000/pair depending on finish, excellent sound, F3 = 60 Hz, look for their circle here)

Ascend Acoustics (Serra 1, larger 2-way, roughly $900/pair depending on finish/sales, as you'd expect a big step up from the CBM-170SE all the way around, sub optional)

Fritz Speakers (various models of 2-ways, $1,600/pair and up, top notch drivers, room filling/accurate sound, another American cottage based business, sub optional)

These are just some off the top of my head.  The last two need 100 watts or more, the Omegas can get by with just 2 wpc.  That's just one consideration.  What sonic attributes does the audiophile inside you desire?  How big is the room?  Would you consider using a sub (most would recommend it, especially in bigger rooms or cranking it up).  Recommend you start by reading lots of reviews, trying to read between the lines to find reviewers you seem to click with, and how they compare different speakers.  Stereo Mojo for instance did years ago a blind comparison of multiple stand mounts with a panel that can be quite useful.  But in the end you really should audition, hopefully at home with a return policy.

Another whole direction to consider is powered/active speakers where the power amps are built into the speakers.  This allows for optimization of amps and drivers and provides great dynamics, flat frequency response, and incredible bass performance.  And with more and more users going purely digital you could make an entire audio system out of an old fashioned CD player (or your computer plus DAC) and two speakers (thus the interest in this approach).  Prices are reasonable and models are almost universally small 2-ways.  But look for one intended/mentioned for home use as most are designed for studio work, so typically they can offer a dry, hyper revealing sound that can fatigue.  Good home options include:

Audioengine A2+ (very small, $250/pair, DAC included, subwoofer output)

PSB Alpha PS1 (very small, $300/pair, subwoofer output)

Adam A3X ($650/pair, room filling, very good sound, could be fed from a sub with low level outputs)

K & H 120 ($1,500/pair, remarkably good sound, used in many of the big studios)

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2014, 12:03 pm »
Focal 706. $750

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm »
KEF LS50...at the top tier of your budget but worth every penny!

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:07 pm »
Check out Vapor Audio. The Breeze runs about $1500 and it is an outstanding monitor!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2014, 01:08 pm »
Omega Super 5's:  Just got a pair of these and highly recommended.  Don't expected high dynamics and do expect addictive single-driver cohesion.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1's:  These were right behind the Omega's I was considering.

Axiom Audio M22's:  Axiom just came out with their V4 with a new tweeter design.  I expect the Bryston speaker line to change over to these as well.   Don't sell these short.  I own a pair of the V3's.  They are transparent as heck and have an astounding clean and musical midrange.  You can get a pair with real wood veneer for under $1K. 

LadyDog

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2014, 02:15 pm »
A lot of stuff out there at your price range. 

A possible solution, how about Klauss'(Odyssey Audio) $1,500 system and call it a day.  Comes with most everything needed.  Great system synergy too. 

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:15 pm »
I'd consider some Bambergs. Then one of those 3116 class D that comes in a box. There's several cheap DAC options, but I'd just get this with the money available you can't beat it. Also you'll need a selector switch.

Where in MT do you live? I'm also under the Big Sky. I know a few things around.

I'm going to be getting rid of some speakers (Horns), and also building some GR Research X-LS Encore speakers you could give a listen, somewhat soon.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:32 pm »
Philharmonic Audio Philharmonitor.  $850
6.5" SB Acoustics woofer and Fountek ribbon tweeter.  Hard to beat.

Steve
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2014, 08:20 pm by srb »

smargo

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:43 pm »
I don't want to spend the money for a surround sound system in my basement, I just want something that sounds very nice in stereo.  No more than $2,500 total including speakers, amp, power, receiver, DAC (I just learned what this was 2 days ago!), wires, or whatever I need to listen to music and television with these. 

Thanks,
William

The cambridge aero 2's bookshelves (you need stands for these) - $499 for the speaker and $60 -$150 for the stands

i have been listening to them since november and i cant take them out of my system

these are revolutionary - because the balanced mode radiator tweeter is extraordinary in its presence and dispersion

it has a true bass woofer - not a midbass that so many speakers in this price range have.

i have waxed on and on about these speakers - one of the best i have ever owned

it totally blows away forever those cheap pioneers (albeit at 4 times the price)

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:54 pm »
I would suggest Bambergaudio.com  Phil is a great speaker designer and his latest designs are very nice.Give him a call and see if he has a demo pair in your price range.  If you are trying to keep costs down, Dennis Murphy is coming our with a modded Pioneer 52 series floor stander. The Philharmonic modded Pioneer looks like a real bargain for under $500.  Also, I'm a fan of Magnepan and would suggest checking out a pair of MMGs. For the money, they sound very good.

Hi Smargo, did you see the AVS thread on the Cambridge Aero2's?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1504045/cambridge-aero-2-bookshelf-speaker/90

smargo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:38 pm »

Hi Smargo, did you see the AVS thread on the Cambridge Aero2's?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1504045/cambridge-aero-2-bookshelf-speaker/90

yes i saw that review back when it was posted - in my experience - after more than 3 months - the cambridge is by far so much more then what they describe it is 

how cant anyone who is judging this on sound quality alone - be not impressed with this speaker - is beyond me - the first time you hear it - you will know

its one of those - "oh my god -  i cant believe it"

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to hear what this speaker does - but this probably isnt the thread to spin off on the cambridge

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:57 pm »
2nd the Odyssey rec and the Fritz speaker rec - both offer outstanding performance in their price ranges.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2014, 08:09 pm »
yes i saw that review back when it was posted - in my experience - after more than 3 months - the cambridge is by far so much more then what they describe it is 

how cant anyone who is judging this on sound quality alone - be not impressed with this speaker - is beyond me - the first time you hear it - you will know

its one of those - "oh my god -  i cant believe it"

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to hear what this speaker does - but this probably isnt the thread to spin off on the cambridge

Hi Smargo,
We should start another thread.  The AVS thread is not a review. Someone speculated about the tweeter performance and Dennis measured the speakers. He gave no subjective evaluation just measurements. It's cool that you like them and I look forward to hearing them out of curiosity. Thankfully, there are lots of options to suit everyone's tastes.  The tweeter response of the Aeros would concern me but I'd still like to see how they compare to other speakers in the same price range.

Cheers

Jack

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2014, 08:12 pm »
I would suggest Bambergaudio.com  Phil is a great speaker designer and his latest designs are very nice.Give him a call and see if he has a demo pair in your price range.

The bookshelves I linked to are onsale at $850. That's hard to beat.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2014, 08:30 pm »
The bookshelves I linked to are onsale at $850. That's hard to beat.

I'm an idiot and did not see the link!  For the record, my main speakers have been Bamberg Series 5 MTMs for a long time and I still have not heard anything makes me want to switch. Maybe Phil's new active speakers will be the ones that make me sell my 5's!  That's a great price for those bamberg bookshelves. Phil is not a marketing guy but he designs and builds exceptional speakers.

wm

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2014, 05:20 am »
I'd consider some Bambergs. Then one of those 3116 class D that comes in a box. There's several cheap DAC options, but I'd just get this with the money available you can't beat it. Also you'll need a selector switch.

Where in MT do you live? I'm also under the Big Sky. I know a few things around.

I'm going to be getting rid of some speakers (Horns), and also building some GR Research X-LS Encore speakers you could give a listen, somewhat soon.

I'm in Florence.

persisting1

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2014, 06:01 am »
I highly suggest going used on all of your gear. You can get a lot more for your money. Look into AudiogoN or here on AC.

dyfromhawaii

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:52 am »
might want to consider the new Ryan R610 stand mounted speakers...from Todd Ryan, who had his own firm prior, Ryan Acoustics, and then with Sonance..per my local dealer, he was told by Todd that these speakers can go down to 34 hz..slightly above your range at $1800.00.

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2014, 05:42 pm »

I'm in Florence.

Nearly neighbors!

I'm surprised there's a high end audio place, in Florence, of all places! I had no idea. Also I know a few other people that are unaware as well.