6sn7 for Rogue 99 pre amp

Bigfishhk

6sn7 for Rogue 99 pre amp
« on: 13 Mar 2014, 11:38 pm »
I've rolled a few 6sn7 but somet have been noisy including some sylvania's and raytheon's. These tubes work fine in my power amp but in the pre amp, they crackle or make rushing noises.

Currently have rca's in the 99 pre amp. Just fine.
Also I have some Eh and CHinese tubes that came with the amp.

Am looking to roll in some new ones. Hope to keep to $50 each. Anyone have any recommendations especially if they are quiet tubes that would match my sensitive pre amp!
Tom

lolligagger

Re: 6sn7 for Rogue 99 pre amp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:13 am »
 I don't have any suggestions for you and I am sorry to break in on your thread like this, but I need your help. Please tell me how you start an new thread on this forum. I cannot find any place on the Audio Circle web page that allows me to do that.
Thanks

lolligagger

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:16 am »
I also can't find anyway to contact a moderator to find out how to do it. So, if you can help me I would be grateful.

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:23 am »
Hi,

I've rolled quite a few 6sn7s in my Supratek pre.  My favourite budget tube is Tung Sol 6sn7gtb.  They punch way above their price, at least in my system.

To start a new thread to to Circles, pick your circle, then you'll see the icon for a new topic.  Just click it.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2014, 12:27 am »
Hi,

I've rolled quite a few 6sn7s in my Supratek pre.  My favourite budget tube is Tung Sol 6sn7gtb.  They punch way above their price, at least in my system.

Any experience with cyroset gold EH?

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:03 am »
No.  I have the standard EH and the Tung Sols are a couple of notches up.  The standard EH beats quite a few NOS tubes I've tried, so it's still a pretty nice tube.  I'd imagine the Golds are worth a go.

If you got both, you'd still be only a touch over your budget - and you'd have a backup pair.

I had Black Treasures, which were nice sounding, but not very long lasting.  I replaced them with Sophias, which I thought were more neutral sounding - less warm than the Black Treasures.  The Sophias died after a couple of years too.  So I now have my Tung Sols in, which were my backup tubes.  And I'll tell you, they are damn close to the Sophias for considerably less money.  I think I might just keep them in.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:08 am »
I've been using old stock Tung Sol tall bottles in my 99.  I like them a lot.  The 6SN7 in general is not the quietest tube so you'll have to have them screened for noise from your tube monger.

http://tctubes.com/Tung-Sol-6SN7GTB-tall-bottle.aspx

TC also has a matched pair for $114.  The tubes from TC are fully Amplitrex tested and have noise ratings.  You might send them an email requesting lo noise 6SN7s and see what they recommend.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2014, 02:16 am »
I've been using old stock Tung Sol tall bottles in my 99.  I like them a lot.  The 6SN7 in general is not the quietest tube so you'll have to have them screened for noise from your tube monger.

http://tctubes.com/Tung-Sol-6SN7GTB-tall-bottle.aspx

TC also has a matched pair for $114.  The tubes from TC are fully Amplitrex tested and have noise ratings.  You might send them an email requesting lo noise 6SN7s and see what they recommend.
Good idea. Btw do the tall bottles fit into rogue 99 ?
Tx
Tom

MarkM

« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2014, 02:52 am »
I have owned a 99 for 18 months.  It is challenging finding quiet tubes for a high gain preamp.  If you use Ebay for tubes, only buy from solid dealers on who offer a warranty if the tubes are too noisy in the 99.  I have had good luck with a couple and have had returns for full credit.

I agree with the NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB Tall Bottles, I pair them with Raytheon VT-231 flat black plates.  Raytheons are on the right side of the preamp and Tung-Sols in the left.  I have tried just about every tube combo and loved the Black Treasure CV181-Z, but they did not last very long for the $$.(6 months)  I have rolled 6SN7/VT-231 Sylvania Bad Boys, GTA, Ken-Rads, Full Music, RCA and others.

My preamp tube sockets suck and every now and then I have to pull the tubes and push the socket pins in to ensure a tight grip on the tubes, once in a while, I will get intermittent noise and that is when I know it is time to tighten things up.  I need to replace the sockets.  If you go NOS, make sure the pins are clean, I have found this to be a source of noise a few times with newly acquired tubes.

I also invested in Herbies tube dampers and they made a difference.

ssglx

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2014, 09:23 am »
I use Sophia Electric 6SN7 tube, grade B I think which I paid $60 each for on their periodic sale. I have an Audio Electronics  AE-3 Mk II. I had no issues frankly with the stock Chinese tubes, but the Sophia's added additional dynamics and solidity. Well worth it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2014, 10:51 am »
Good idea. Btw do the tall bottles fit into rogue 99 ?
Tx
Tom

No problem with the Tung Sols.  'Tall' doesn't really mean tall.  It's just to differentiate them from other tubes.  'Medium' would be like the chinese Rogue tubes and short would be like some RCAs or Sylvania chrome domes.  Now, some of those VT231s are extra tall.  You should measure the space and get measurements of the tubes before you buy.

BTW, have you lowered the gain setting on the preamp?  That should affect the noise level of those noisy tubes.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:35 pm »

Raytheons are on the right side of the preamp and Tung-Sols in the left. 

I THINK THEY SAY THE TUBES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF the 99 AFFECT SOUND FAR MORE THAN THOSE IN LEFT POSITION. DID YOU TRY THE TUNG SOLS ON RIGHT SIDE?

I have tried just about every tube combo and loved the Black Treasure CV181-Z, but they did not last very long for the $$.(6 months) 
WOW. 6 MONTHS AT THAT PRICE, THANKS FOR THE WARNING. NO MATTER HOW GOOD I WILL NOT BE BUYING THESE TUBES!

I also invested in Herbies tube dampers and they made a difference.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THESE ARE BUT YOU TWEAKED MY CURIOSTY

Thanks

Tom

Bigfishhk

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:36 pm »
I use Sophia Electric 6SN7 tube, grade B I think which I paid $60 each for on their periodic sale. I have an Audio Electronics  AE-3 Mk II.
WHERE DO YOU BUY THE SOPHIA'S? THANKS

decal

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:40 pm »
Sylvania brown base JAN WGTA6SN7 is what I used in my Rogue Tempest integrated which is basically your pre with an amplifier section added. Contact Paul Lindemann at chowbeardog@global.net.

Bigfishhk

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:41 pm »
No problem with the Tung Sols.
BASED ON CURRENT RECOMMENDATIONS, SO FAR TUNG SOLS TOP my list.
BTW, have you lowered the gain setting on the preamp?  That should affect the noise level of those noisy tubes.
I HAVE IT ON THE 2ND LOWEST SETTING MOST OF THE TIME. I Could try the Raytheons again in the lowest setting. However it would be limiting if they were only noise free in the lowest setting.
BTW apart from having to adjust the volume levels higher to compensate, does the lower gain setting on pre amp have any intrinsic SQ difference to the higher settings?

tx

Tom

Bigfishhk

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:45 pm »
Sylvania brown base JAN WGTA6SN7 is what I used in my Rogue Tempest integrated which is basically your pre with an amplifier section added. Contact Paul Lindemann at chowbeardog@global.net.

I have a Tempest also which I use in power amp mode and have previously used as in integrated. The 6sn7's seem to show less noise in the Tempest. When I switch them to the 99 pre amp, they exhibit noises and rushing sounds.

I have limited technical knowledge, could it be that Tempest pre amp  is passive line stage?

Tx
Tom

happyrabbit

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm »
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Northern-Electric/Northern-Electric-6SN7

Same as the Sophia  6sn7....  Both come from TJ Fullmusic.     

Dwight

Bigfishhk

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2014, 02:37 pm »
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/Northern-Electric/Northern-Electric-6SN7

Same as the Sophia  6sn7....  Both come from TJ Fullmusic.     

Dwight
look great but at over 3inches / 80mm, seems too tall to fit in the Rogue 99 chassis sadly

TB

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2014, 02:55 pm »
Try some RCA 6sn7gtb's, 1963. RCA made some sweet tubes back in the 60's.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2014, 03:39 pm »

Not exactly.  The Tempest is the Stereo 90 with a simple preamp section added.  The 99 is an entirely different beast.  The 6SN7s in the Tempest are drivers for the power tubes and the 6SN7s in the 99 are voltage gain and mu-follower stages.