MB Quart Vera VS05 now Cheap and Cheerful

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
MB Quart Vera VS05 now Cheap and Cheerful
« on: 8 Mar 2014, 06:10 pm »
There is a gem out there that MB Quart is moving out. The Vera VSO5 bookshelf.
Use to sell for $2500 pair in 2004/2005. They are nice and the real deal. Crystal
clear with lots of resolution. No crossover mod needed on this one.
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/vs05be-pair-elsberry-finish?pp=24

mcgsxr

Re: MB Quart Vera VS05 now Cheap and Cheerful
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2014, 06:25 pm »
Used to run MB Quarts in my car in the 90's, they make excellent drivers.

That bookshelf reminds me a lot of the late 90's Mission 780, with the shape of the baffle at the top etc.

A nice choice if you're in the market for sure.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2014, 12:14 am »
Only thing is it comes with a 30 day warranty. So unless it's DOA your basically SOL if there is a problem with them.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2014, 01:38 am »
That is a good point - part of the deal, with a real low price.

However, speakers in general tend to hold up well.

They are over built - and quite revealing - they will high-light
the nasty, poor recordings for sure.

They do have good high resolution.

persisting1

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2014, 07:49 am »
That's a significant price drop. Are they B stock? I know nothing about them.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm »
No online reviews of them in ten years, at least that I could find.  Brings pause as to why.  Is it because they are a Rockford Fosgate company building mainly car stereo speakers?  The main rags like to review products they can say positive things about and skip products that don't make the grade.  And the deep discount would worry me as well.  Just because something sold for $2500 doesn't mean it was worth it.  They look like a well built product, but could they have a fatal flaw, maybe unrelenting treble, they are a German speaker after all.  I'm not condemning something I haven't heard, just playing devils advocate and would welcome answers to these questions.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2014, 05:23 pm »
They are now owned by Maxxsonics, and they do sound good. > MB Quart (Maxxsonics) has
poor marketing for Home Audio in the USA. I and some people have bought them, and there
has been no real complaints. They do not seem to have any real treble lift - and they seem
to sound smooth and balanced up to 15 khz. > They are highly detailed with tight controlled
bass. The bass is usable to around 42 hz. They are good with all types of music, and are good
and dynamic for HT. They are not forward, harsh or edgy - however cheap/poor nasty recordings
will stand out, due to the highly revealing tweeter.

As in all things (subjective) Audio - there are those who may not like them - As the Audio World
Turns.

I have opened them up and they are well built - they tend to look somewhat over-built. >>> the
diameter of the poly caps, are about the size of a quarter. They use what seems to be large metal
oxide resistors. The cabinet is lined with foam and stuffed with fiber-glass like material. They weigh
about 26 pounds each.

I do understand why some people may be fearful - however, I am throwing it out as an option if
someone is looking for a nice set of speakers with higher-end type sound, for a more budget like
price point.

I am still giving them a shake-down, and I continue to enjoy them.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2014, 05:28 pm »
That's a significant price drop. Are they B stock? I know nothing about them.

No, mine looked to be brand new - they are packed well, and even came double boxed.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2014, 04:35 pm »
I continue to enjoy these speakers - they are really good.

They are way, way better (higher) than a so-called $500 dollar speaker - those who perceive and think
that they are average because of their close-out price, well just go ahead and think > because you will
never convince me with you thoughts and/or perceptions. > Why they are priced this low - well, I could
really care less (it is not important to me) they are simply a great deal.

They are transparant (crystal) and really clean with good proper recorded sources. It is hard to pick-up a
type of timbre character with these speakers. All instruments sound good, drums are really nice and life-like
and real good with piano - trumpet and violin. Voices and instruments have good tone, layering and depth

They are dynamic and powerful with movies - I do not care much about their sensitivity - they can take it, and
and were made to play loud. While they are not made for supermen - they can still do a good job with Movies,
TV/HT - and have good imaging and depth.

Some speakers out there whether new or old - that I prefer the MB Quart over >>

Boston VS
Boston E
Snell K7
Monitor Audio RX Silver
JBL Studio 5
Definitive Tech New/Old SM
NHT Classic
Focal Chorus V
Acoustic Energy A Elite
Modded Cambridge S30
Modded Pioneer AAL Monitors
AV123 Onix (origional) Luscious speakers
McIntosh high-end
PSB Image
Paradigm Monitor
B&W
HTD Level Three/Two
Atlantic Tech
Martin Logan ATF
Platinum Audio

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm »
The speakers are now sold out, so at least a number of people got the great price.  They are beautiful looking speakers that appear to be very well built and I'm sure all of those who bought at the sale price got a superb bargain.  None are for sale on eBay or Agon presently, perhaps there'll be a bargain there for them in the future.