April issue of The Absolute Sound

htradtk

April issue of The Absolute Sound
« on: 8 Mar 2014, 02:45 am »
Greetings,

Received my April issue of TAS today and in it there's a review of VSA's UniField Two Mk2 and an interview with Albert, check it out.

Henry

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: April issue of The Absolute Sound
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2014, 02:46 pm »
Greetings,

Received my April issue of TAS today and in it there's a review of VSA's UniField Two Mk2 and an interview with Albert, check it out.

Henry

..a VSA speaker review in TAS?  Hell just froze over.. :o

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2014, 07:02 am »
TAS and it's sister company accross the pond reviews VSAs. It's Stereophile that hasn't in ages.  :scratch:

bb64

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2014, 06:42 am »
What TAS says about the UF2 ? The review is not yet online.

scb

BigSwede

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2014, 02:04 pm »
Should post this in the "collected reviews" sticky above...

Fab

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2014, 02:27 pm »
There is a strange thing regarding this review, the VSA UF2 appears upside down in each picture, have you seen?

Fab  :wink:

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2014, 04:16 pm »
Yup. I wonder if it was listened to by Dick upside down too. LOL. Just kidding, I'm sure he didn't.

roxito

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:31 am »
Not been able to get my hands on a copy of this issue yet. anybody share some highlights from the review ?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2014, 06:05 pm »
It is a surprisingly technical 2 1/2 page review! The whole review is devoted to describing the speaker.  None of that , I played an named album and heard this or that.

roscoeiii

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2014, 01:41 am »
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

The UniField Model Two Mk2 is a virtual point source and sounds exactly the same if inverted, as shown in the photo.  It is not clear whether Dick Olsher listened to it upside down, but if he did, the sound would not be much different than if the coaxial unit was above the subwoofer.  Since there are steep filters on the 7" subwoofer driver and it is crossed over at 80Hz, it is not localizeable as a separate source of sound.  The apparent (virtual) point source is of course, the tweeter, and it sounds better slightly off axis than if the tweeters are aimed directly at your ears.

Dick is an atomic scientist working at Los Alamos in NM, so he focuses on measurements and does a bit of listening.  Although we disagree about the cause of what he termed a slight tendency towards brightness at the 2.2Khz crossover between the bass/mid unit and the silk dome tweeter, it was caused by his particular system (either the preamp/amp or cable combination).  We have never heard this, nor have 300+ customers (26 whom are recording studios with their own measuring equipment).

We believe the review was a "home run" and in person, Dick told me that the Uni 2 was one of the best box speakers he had ever heard.  His own reference speakers are Sound Lab electrostatics, which he thinks are pretty good across the board.  He also indicated that the Uni 2's bass response was far better.  He even felt that our midrange driver was equal to or superior to the Sound Labs!

Happy Listening,

Albert Von Schweikert

Fab

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2014, 09:02 am »
For info you can get the review into the buyers guide http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/22/

Enjoy :-)
Fabrice

roxito

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2014, 09:07 am »
Thanks fab for the link.

If the speaker was upside down... it would be crazy for Olsher to not have realized it when hooking up the cables in the back.