Our great new Vision Phono Preamp now available built into Fet Valve CF preamps

avahifi

We have upgraded our Fet Valve CF preamplifier mother boards to include our newest fully adjustable Vision phono circuits.  The new phono section can be set for either moving magnet or low output moving coil cartridges.  In addition, in the moving coil mode both the gain and input loading is adjustable using the ten position DIP switches built into the board.

For what it is worth, note that there are over two hundred solder connections to the PC card just in the phono preamp section of the board.  It takes our best skilled techs to build these units with the bulletproof reliability we expect.

This option is $329.909.  The fixed values standard Vision phono preamp for moving magnet cartridges is still available for $249.

Note that either of the new Vision phono sections are available as internal add on boards in both the Transcendence 9 and Insight+ preamplifiers at the same prices.

Here is a photo of the new installed Fet Valve CF mother board built into my own shop preamp chassis. Note that the line and power supply circuits have not changed.

Please call me at 651-330-9871 for more information.

Frank Van Alstine

Minn Mark

All,
I have been using the Vision phono in my upgraded Insight+ pre-amp since late December 2013.  I posted first impressions in another thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121452.0

After a couple of months listening pretty much daily ( I workout in my lisenting room in the evenings), my impressions are essentially the same.

This phono stage (static values, MM; I'm using a VPI Classic I and Sumiko Blackbird HOMC) is extremely quiet, and revealing. The presentation is large, filling the space between my speakers (Maggie 3.6/R via AVA Insight 440H amp) and beyong,while being true to the recording, good or bad. Great vinyl sounds spectacular, poor, compressed recordings just sound like they were recorded/mixed poorly. I prefer a revealing system to one that's overly compensatory or 'rosey'. Instrument attacks are precise, with no smearing or distortion that I can hear.  Soundstage depth is good, but not the ultimate best I have ever heard. Cymbals, acoustic instruments like guitars, horns, etc all sound very true and in-the-room.  Vocals really shine, both male and female. Massed works are big, and while not analyitcially etched apart, I can hear individual instruments and single parts with no effort.  After the inital WOW, I find I can do what I've always done with AVA equipment, just relax and listen to the music. No fatigue over long periods.  Bass is deep and presented in an accurate fashion. I listen ony ocassionally to classical works (eg. Music from Bohemia; Supercuts UPC:5060218890249 ). The dynamics from very soft to very loud are handled with no problems. Jazz, rock, pop, alt-county, the Vision phono in my preamp handles these all very easily.  In my collection, some 80's recordings (likely AAD, ADD) are very 'hot'; sizzly, tinny, compressed. With the Vision these sound very accurate- bad.  I have a second TT set-up for these: SOTA Comet with Ortofon 2M Red feeding a Rec-O-Cut MM preamp ($99) into an Aux input on the Insight+ EC  pre-amp. When I compare the two phono stages, the Vision is miles ahead: quieter, more holographic and accurate. The SOTA/Orto/Rec-O path tones down these hot recordings, but at the expense of accuracy, depth and separation and just less 'life' jumping from the grooves.  The Filter on the Insight+ EC preamp also helps a great deal, but I prefer listening mostly at 'flat' with regard to tone or filtering options on the AVA pre-amp.

Am I glad I upgraded from the Insight phono to the Vision? Yes.  For the money this is, IMHO, a silly good phono pre-amp.  Performance for all my AVA gear is flawless: rugged and bullet-proof. The convenince of a built-in, and now fully configurable, MM/MC phono pre-amp is a great advantage.

Highy recommended.

Mark

Minn Mark

Bump.

Anyone else out there with a recent upgrade or standalone Vision phono (MM or MC) with experience to share? 

:thumb:

Mark

avahifi

The chassis and ID label engineering drawings for the new free standing Vision phono preamplifiers are out to our vendors right now for fabrication quotes.  We will know the cost to do these within a week now.

If it is cost effective to build it, we certainly will.

The basic plans are for a 8" long x 5" wide x 2.5" high steel chassis with the internal circuits powered from an external 120V to 16V AC step down transformer.  We did not want to use a linear DC power supply because they are too noisy, and for the same reason wanted to keep the power transformer out of this small chassis.

Because we designed for a high current drive phono preamp we passed on tiny surface mount quad ICs.  Each channel uses two Burr-Brown OPA627 ICs and one National LME49600 current amplifier.  Expensive parts, but worth it musically.

Frank Van Alstine