Flushing my tax refund down the toilet

Don_S

Flushing my tax refund down the toilet
« on: 3 Mar 2014, 12:38 am »
I am literally going to flush my tax refund down the toilet.  I am remodeling two bathrooms.  That includes new, water-saving toilets.

Personal experience appreciated but there is no need to be too graphic.  :oops:  :nono:  Good ones?  Bad ones? Low-boys only.  I hate needing a step stool to get on the toilet. My mother has a "water saver" that does not work well.  It is a long way from Sacramento to San Francisco but I would still prefer to not have to flush twice.  :lol:
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2014, 04:23 pm by Don_S »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Flushing my tax return down the toilet
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2014, 12:53 am »
Bang for buck, Toto Drake.  They flush well, have the large water spot, and don't require two flushes. Most any Toto is a good bet.
More than you wanted to know about toilets;
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

bearman2

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:03 am »
I have to agree with Peter J.  My choice would be Toto next would be one or two Kohlers.     

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:28 am »
Comfort height Toto. No need for the Sumo squat.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2014, 03:17 am »
Comfort height Toto. No need for the Sumo squat.

Don, gotta concur with Konut, comfort height is worth considering. It'll make you wonder why most toilets are so low...unless you're really, really short. FWIW I've installed many comfort height toilets for all sizes of adults, and I've always gotten positive comments. While you're at it, and assuming you're changing vanities, 36" height is much more convenient too. It's been a long time since I put a 32" vanity in any bathroom that adults use. Kids are a different story, though.

Just finished this. It's a 36" high vanity and that's a Toto Drake extended comfort height in the foreground. It's my go-to toilet...hmmm, does that sound weird?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2014, 04:03 am »
As long as we're showing pics, I had my bathroom redone 2 years ago and also used a 36" height vanity. The sink was Toto as well.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2014, 04:27 am »
We just installed three of these:  Toto UltraMax II One-Piece Toilet, MS604114CEFG, 1.28GPF Cotton White.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2014, 10:44 am »
Not sure if the comfort height is the tall or short "regular" model??
I asked what was the baddest flusher with the biggest pipe and got an American Standard tall.  (got two boys) I wish I would have went regular height as my legs fall asleep 5 pages in to a motor trend.  That was about 7 years ago.  So, if you are not tall I recommend a lower model.  I also prefer an elongated bowl vs. round if you have the room.

Sinks?  get one with the bowl recessed/built into the top.  much easier for cleaning.

Nick77

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:46 am »
We just installed a pair of Kohlor Cimarron comfort height with soft close lid, love them!! Didn't cost an arm and a leg and work flawlessly. Soft close lid is a must!!

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:48 am »
I'm just wondering if you guys are aware that different countries have a rather different design for these items. I never quite understool why.

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:51 am »
I'm just wondering if you guys are aware that different countries have a rather different design for these items. I never quite understool why.

I always thought Aussies did it differently??  :green:

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:54 am »
I always thought Aussies did it differently??  :green:

Well, it depends on how you look at it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm »
Well water does whirlpool in the opposite rotation from most of us.

Water closet (the correct term for toilets) heights vary for good reason.  Short legged elders need them low to help avoid loss of blood to their feet after long stays.  Taller hip replacement recipients appreciate not having to stand up from a low seated position.  I recommend the lower range, as lift seats are available to compensate, but also vote for the slow closer seats/lids.

(My tax returns are paying for car/home insurance, which feels like another kind of flushing.)

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:16 pm »
Well water does whirlpool in the opposite rotation from most of us.

No it doesn't, for goodness sake! Audiophile myths - OK. Basic physics - please stick to facts!

I think the OP asked for no graphic descriptions, so I'll desist.

mcgsxr

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:18 pm »
I have updated the powder room on the main floor, and built a new bathroom in the basement over the past 12 months or so.

For both, I used an elongated bowl, dual flush, taller model from American Standard.   They are 2 piece units, but sculpted to look like the 1 piece units.  They installed great, and have worked well.  With all the girls in my house, there is constantly something flushing, so the dual flush made sense to invest in.  They run about $350 or so up here in Canada, but I would be happy to install 2 more when the other toilets need attention.  My wife makes fun of me as I like things to be the same, but when it comes to fixing this stuff myself, I'd rather learn once and use 4 times than figure out each toilet when the time comes!

I installed new vanities in the main bath and ensuite, all are standard height though, as we're all under 5'8.  I went with custom solid wood units, with granite tops and undermount sinks. 

For the basement bathroom, I spent the ~$500 to have the floor heated (15-20 square foot area, only a 5x8 bathroom with a shower in it too).  Boy has that paid off this winter, that floor feels awesome underfoot.  Any bathroom floor in the future that gets new tile will absolutely get a heated pad under it.  Great for living with, and excellent for resale.

jlupine

Flushing my tax return down the toilet
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:46 pm »
The two Toto Drakes that I installed are excellent, and the Kohler that I chose to match the color of the bathtub isn't as good.  The Toto bowls are shallower front to back than other brands, so I recommend the elongated bowl.  Be sure to use solid brass closet-flange bolts:  the brass-plated bolts are too vulnerable to rust.   

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm »
Whats a tax return? :duh:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:17 pm »
Mark, good idea to be consistent throughout the house.  Otherwise it looks choppy, DIY (in a bad way), and un-coordinated.  Plus you have experience with the hardware/fixtures and can find replacement bits from a minimum number of sources.  My previous house (50 years old) had 5 different door handles/locks/keys.  On this house my wife, in trying to safe some money) sweated toilet accessories and cabinet pulls to match the brushed nickel door hardware we'd already picked.  (Brushed nickel varies by the amount of nickel used.)

By the way JohnR, if there is no other outside force present such as the direction of the inflowing water, and the drain (hole) is perfectly level, water will rotate counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise south of the equator. This is called the “Coriolis Effect” named after Gaspard-Gustave Coriolis, a French scientist, who described it in 1835.  But you are right too as the direction of rotation in a toilet is due to the direction of the water flowing into the toilet bowl from the outlets around the inside of the rim (as the Coriolis Effect is relatively small).

decal

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2014, 02:25 pm »
Whats a tax return? :duh:

It's what you get when you let the gov't use your money, interest free, during the year!!!!!!

randytsuch

Re: Flushing my tax refund down the toilet
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2014, 04:35 pm »
We have a couple of toto's and a couple of Kohlor's in our house.  The Toto's were added in the last bathroom remodel, I think one is a drake, other one is their fancy "butt washer" toilet.  My girls have the fancy toilet.

I like the toto's better, they do a better job of flushing.  I live is so cal, so all of them are low water toilets.

Randy