What do you think of Craigslist?

xsb7244

What do you think of Craigslist?
« on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm »
If you live in a large city, there are turntables to be had.  I live in a small city so cannot take advantage.  For example, Los Angeles Feb 25, Technics SP-10 MK11 no tonearm $1695.00

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What do you think of Craigslist?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm »
If you live in a large city, there are turntables to be had.  I live in a small city so cannot take advantage.  For example, Los Angeles Feb 25, Technics SP-10 MK11 no tonearm $1695.00
There are turntables to be had everywhere.  I bought and SP 10 MkII here on AC a couple of years back... for less than $800 w/ tonearm and rebuilt power supply.  So in answer to your question, Craigslist has good deals and bad deals.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2014, 11:22 pm »
Beware, a lot of scammers. But I doubt that this ad is a scam.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2014, 12:28 am »
What do I think of Craigslist? Depends on where you're talking about. Where I live, 98% of Craigslist is cheap furniture, Nascar "collectibles," worn out big box electronic store discards and pitiful lonely hearts looking for a hookup. :lol: On the other hand, look at Craigslist for Palm Springs, Ca. and it's often a treasure chest of cool stuff. 

WireNut

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2014, 01:58 am »
Picked up a JVC QL7 turntable off CL FOR $180.00, I'm happy, looks and works great.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:29 am »
For good audio gear? Useless around here.

Although, when I bought an ARC preamp years ago, I went through Audiogon and the guy ended up being 15 minutes from my folks' place. Definitely cool to see/hear something in person before you buy, but I'm under no delusion that that's the norm and not the exception...

trackball02

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:49 am »
I have had great luck in my local area for turntables. Over the past 14 months I have found and purchased the following:
Technics SL-D2 with a new Shure m774     ($80)
Technics SL-1600MK2, two of them with either a Signet or Audio Technica cartridge   ($100 and $250).
Dual 1019, two of them with either Audio Technica or Shure cartridge   ($60 and $100)
Dual 1219 with a cartridge holder but without a cartridge  ($100)

All had dust covers, bases,  great to acceptable cosmetic conditions, and all worked well except the Dual 1219, that needed professional service.

Am I crazy or what? I'm giving the D2 to a younger family member just getting into vinyl, and I bought duplicate 1019 and 1600 turntables to use as spare parts. It's been fun just learning about vintage TTs without spending a ton of dollars, plus my friends are amazed on how a properly set up low cost vintage turntable can sound.  :thumb:

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm »
Craigslist is great for certain things, but I would not include quality audio gear among those unless you are willing to deal with bottom feeders and sell really cheap. If you have valuable gear you are much better off selling through recognized audio sites.