Budget Amp for X-LS Encore & 2x X-Subs

Millicent Bystander

Budget Amp for X-LS Encore & 2x X-Subs
« on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:07 pm »
Just looking for some advice.

I have an AudioSource AMP100:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

And want to drive a pair of X-LS Encores and 2x powered X-Subs. Would the AudioSource AMP100 work here or should I consider a class D TPA3116 like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400567805660?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Alternatively, I'm open to used equipment in the $100 price range.

Folsom

Re: Budget Amp for X-LS Encore & 2x X-Subs
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:16 pm »
TPA3116 is good but the 2.1 isn't known to sound good.

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:30 pm »
What about some Pass Labs ACA amps.  Mono Blocks.... Under 300 dollars.  or The T100 at PE...

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2014, 04:47 pm »
How much power do you want?

I really like the sound of the TPA3110 amp, if ~8wpc will work for you.
Build one yourself for about $50-60, or commission one for a bit more.

The ACA monos mentioned by jparkhur are also terrific, but 6wpc, and above your price range, but still inordinately cheap for the level of sq provided.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2014, 05:52 pm »
Just get two 3116 amps without the subwoofer .1 addition. Or use speaker cable to resistors to RCA to hhokup plate amps for subwoofers. The class D's are good, but the 2.1 just isn't right.

Sparky14

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2014, 06:24 pm »
Amp100 is fine for a budget amp to power those, as long as your subs allow speaker level input and output. If my memory serves, the X-Subs will do that.

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2014, 06:35 pm »
Thank you Gents.

I'm fitting this plate amp to each of the X-Subs:
http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-6-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-30-hz--301-510

The plate amps have a speaker level in. But I was considering using the Line Out of the AMP100 (marked LINE TWO OUT) to connect the plate amp LINE IN. If I used a Y connector on each of the AMP100 RCA's I could feed both plate amps.

Thoughts?

slosjo

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:10 pm »
My .02

That amp will give you 300w at 4 ohms, so 150w at 8ohms.  The xsub drivers are 8 ohms.
You could deliver the same power to each driver with one amp powering both subs in parallel.

Sparky14

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:48 pm »
The Y splitter approach would work, as it looks like that plate amp does not have speaker level outputs anyway so that Y is your only option to power two subs. I did the same thing with a pair of ULW-10 subs.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:55 pm »
Just get two 3116 amps without the subwoofer .1 addition. Or use speaker cable to resistors to RCA to hhokup plate amps for subwoofers. The class D's are good, but the 2.1 just isn't right.
Why do think that is?  Is there a difference in parts/layout?  Why would a third channel make a difference? Is this something that you have personally heard, or an observation from a third party?

lacro

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2014, 06:50 pm »
How much power do you want?

I really like the sound of the TPA3110 amp, if ~8wpc will work for you.
Build one yourself for about $50-60, or commission one for a bit more.

+1
 I am powering, and listening right now to my X-LS Encores with the TPA3110 driving them. Love the combo :thumb: SQ is amazing! Don't let the low power fool you. This little amp will easily drive the Encores to any listening level I can handle. Not sure what the best option is for your subs, but the TPA3110 is a real performer especially with mods. 

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2014, 08:17 pm »
Why do think that is?  Is there a difference in parts/layout?  Why would a third channel make a difference? Is this something that you have personally heard, or an observation from a third party?

I don't know what's on the board for sure, but maybe a POS opamp or something to keep gain up, that degrades the signal. That's my guess. I don't remember if the chip has some sorta output secondary, but I really don't see them using speaker out legs to power a second chip prior to output filters. If they did, that'd explain the lower quality sound!

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2014, 02:45 pm »
Guys
I thought I would update this thread now that I have purchased a solution.

In the end, and mainly based on the information I found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/194617-distortion-tests-hifimediy-t2-ljm-l20d-sure-tda7498.html I opted for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-100W-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-Explorer-w-Bluetooth-Remote-Control-Adapter-/351031448021?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item51bb1ad1d5

The seller, Sure Hifi confirmed that the chipset was a TDA7498, and that the sub out frequency was 20hz - 300hz. Danny subsequently confirmed that these frequencies would be fine to drive my 2x Yung 6-300's in the XSubs.

I plan to use a TOS link cable from a newer Apple Airport Express into the optical in of the amp (abet I've no idea what the amps DAC is), along with RCA's from the TV. The Bluetooth feature will be a convenience option (if performance is good) for streaming from my phone.

Would anyone care to advise how I should drive 2x Yung SD300-6 from the single sub output RCA? Should I:
A) Use an RCA Y splitter at the amp and 2x RCA cables to the LFE port on each sub?
B) Use the amp RCA out to the LFE IN on sub #1, then connect LFE OUT of sub #1 to LFE IN of sub #2.

All advice appreciated

jeffh

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:38 pm »
Wow, that amp has a lot of features....DAC, Bluetooth, sub out, headphone amp, remote control.

Please let us know how it sounds.