That's pretty cool!  I'm already sick of that song though  :D

spinner

Re: GOLDEN EAR TEST
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:17 pm »
Great idea, thanks :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:48 am »
Very cool. I could only get so far with my laptop speakers on my lap, but I'll try again with a better setup.

As an aside - Sometimes I'm confused on AC, like why is this in the Bryston forum?

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:57 am »
Very cool. I could only get so far with my laptop speakers on my lap, but I'll try again with a better setup.

As an aside - Sometimes I'm confused on AC, like why is this in the Bryston forum?

Because the guy who posted it, James Tanner, is the VP of sales and marketing for Bryston.

Thanks James I will have to check it out on my headphones later.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2014, 11:38 am »

Hi sebrof

Yes it was me that posted it and the reason is from day one I wanted the Bryston forum to be an exchange of ideas on all things audio and not just a Bryston fan club forum.

james
Bryston

GT Audio Works

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:06 pm »
If you are going to do this, be prepared for the long haul.
I got through the basic and aced it but long way to go yet...maybe later.   Greg

markie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2014, 02:28 pm »
If you are going to do this, be prepared for the long haul.
I got through the basic and aced it but long way to go yet...maybe later.   Greg

I just completed the basic level as well, all correct.  That is with 150 dollar headphones into an imac, and with chronically waxy ears. :)
For sure there is a long way to go: next is bronze, then silver, then golden (ears).  I'm guessing it will reveal the resolution of a sound system just as much as a person's hearing ability!

Mark

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2014, 02:52 pm »
I got through the silver level and the first thing you have to do at the gold level is memorize the effect on the sound of pink noise  of  boost and cut over nine frequency bands. About the time I have to start duplicating a function better done by measuring instruments I am done.
Scotty

PMAT

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:00 pm »
I stopped at the same pink noise stuff. I was proud of my old ears (55). I swear that at one point in the pink noise I got the wrong answer on all 3 choices. Sheesh!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2014, 03:36 pm »
Hi sebrof

Yes it was me that posted it and the reason is from day one I wanted the Bryston forum to be an exchange of ideas on all things audio and not just a Bryston fan club forum.

james
Bryston

Amen to that. I knew there was another reason besides your products we love ya. Our club still talks about the demo you guys did for us. Quite impressive with two different speakers.  Golden ear test result I don't need no test. What did you say ?  :lol:

charles

sebrof

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:45 pm »
Hi sebrof

james
Bryston
Thanks James and harri, got it  :thumb:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2014, 04:47 am »
Bumping this for everyone.  I haven't taken it yet.  Sitting next to a variety of very good orchestral bass trombonists over the years, I don't know how well I'd do at that. 

Orchestra trombones can play dang LOUD when the parts have fff or ffffsz passages.

HsvHeelFan

gkoop

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2014, 07:42 pm »
I thought it was fun and interesting.  Like others I found the 9 frequency band boost/cut stuff to be hard. I experimented with using different headphones.  I found the particular headphones used did make a difference for me in at least some of the tests, particularly those where the key difference was in the high frequencies.

toocool4

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2014, 07:53 pm »
I completed this a while back now.  8)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124269.0