Indoor antenna advice

Daniel

Indoor antenna advice
« on: 14 Aug 2004, 02:26 am »
Ok, this isn't really a vintage question but since the best tuners are vintage I figure this is the place to ask.  I just bought Brad's Sansui TU717.  Its being modded as I type.  I need an antenna but live in an NYC apartment.  Any recs for indoor antenna?  I asked Ed Hanlon and he suggested bunny ears.  Other thoughts?

Scott F.

Re: Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2004, 03:35 am »
Quote from: Daniel
Ok, this isn't really a vintage question but since the best tuners are vintage I figure this is the place to ask.  I just bought Brad's Sansui TU717.  Its being modded as I type.  I need an antenna but live in an NYC apartment.  Any recs for indoor antenna?  I asked Ed Hanlon and he suggested bunny ears.  Other thoughts?

Hi Daniel,

I've heard good things about the Rat Shack amplified antenna. I own one but have yet to hook it up (don't ask me why :oops:

One of the guys in our circle (Tim at the GAS circle) has had really good luck with the Magnum Dynalab ST 2. Its a little expensive at $99 but it works really well.
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/x_st2.htm

djbnh

Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 12:47 pm »
There seems to be a bit of a snit between Magnum Dynalabs and Fanfare Electronics, see http://www.fanfare.com/st2-expl.html. Both companies seem to market a very similar antenna...

ohenry

Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:43 pm »
These guys make good products if you have space for them.  Their "Attic Intenna"  is a 48" x 8" ugly cylindrical thing that may be the ticket if you can hide it somewhere.   :wink:

http://www.antennaperformance.com/

doug s.

• makin' music
Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 07:06 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
There seems to be a bit of a snit between Magnum Dynalabs and Fanfare Electronics, see http://www.fanfare.com/st2-expl.html. Both companies seem to market a very similar antenna...

and both suck royally.  a $2.50 rat-shack dipole will be far superior in almost every application.  

ed's suggestion for the rabbit ears is a good one.  i have also had good luck w/the now-discontinued rat-shack/archer #15-1833 amplified antenna.  this thing needs to be tuned to the station, yust like the tuna itself.  they show up on ebay every now-n-again.

doug s.

Daniel

Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2004, 03:59 am »
Thanks all!  My modded Sansui TU717 has arrived at the hospital loading dock and should make its way to my office shortly.  I'm going to use rabbit ears for now.

avhed

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2006, 09:57 pm »
djbnh, thats because one used to work at the other company.

ohenry, is there any evidence or are you speculating the APS Intenna is any good. I have been looking for info on it since it came out years ago. I just noticed a couple of guys at the Audio Asylum have used it and
have posted it is good.(Early November, this year) Wow, it took about half a decade to get a report. News travels fast!

doug s , a comparison of the whips to a wire dipole may help the odd  user, but we buy the whip because its omni-directional.

Any one actually try the APS Intenna?
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2006, 10:20 pm by avhed »

onemug

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:27 am »

Since I got my Marantz 10b I have learned a lot about antennas using its scope. I'd try the folded dipole first like doug s recommends. What I like the best so far is the Magnum Dynalab Silver Ribbon for around $30. It has a 300 ohm termination that fits vintage tuner requirements (comes with a 300/75 adapter if you need it for another tuner). I've seen the signal drop and get a little fuzzy when I use those adapters so I try and avoid them. The Silver Ribbons advantage is it sits on its rubber feet and can be rotated for best reception. Good luck.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:21 am »
Hi Daniel,
I was curious who did your tuner mods?  I just picked up a 717 myself, and was sifting thru the myriad of modders out there.  leaning toward RadioX or Antenna performance.
Regards,
Tim

jlupine

Indoor antenna advice
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:47 pm »
I've tried compact indoor antennas including amplified models from Magnavox, BP, and Terk, but I've never been satisfied with them.  I'm happier with small outdoor antennas hanging on the wall, although the WAF is minimal.  I have an old Finco FM-4G and a newer and smaller Winegard Prostar 1000 PR-6010.  In the metropolitan areas where I've always lived, the reception has always been quieter with good signal strength and no multipath problems, although the larger size of the outdoor antennas certainly limits the flexibility of their orientation compared with the compact models.

Jan     

Gordy

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:12 pm »
I had my TU-717 updated by Hanlon/APS a few years ago. I was very happy with the work done but, they don't do modifications as such, they only replace and restore units with updated caps, filters etc. leaving the units stock.  Ed wouldn't even add an IEC at that time!  RadioX is who I'll be sending my tuner to for modifications when the time comes I think, they come highly rec'd and Doug/tuna man continues to send tuners to them.  Last time I checked they had quite a backlog, so I'm not sure what the turnaround time might be.