Anyone heard of Mofro?

8thnerve

Anyone heard of Mofro?
« on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:08 pm »
I just picked up an CD by Mofro, called Lochloosa.  Their website describes them as Front Proch Soul.  As I can't classify them any better, I'll take their word, but I truly haven't heard anything this, well, different in a while.  It's subtly different, but different nonetheless, and I have to say, I worship it.

Also picked up Phoenix's new album, Alphabetical, and the Pizza Tapes (how bout that Hantra!!  and it was only $3.99!!).

N

R_burke

Not until now
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:30 pm »
Just listened to a few samples at towerrecords.com, pretty interesting.  Is the band really only two people?

Thanks for the tip

8thnerve

Re: Not until now
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Just listened to a few samples at towerrecords.com, pretty interesting.  Is the band really only two people?

Thanks for the tip

Yes and no.  According to the liner notes, "MOFRO is JJ Grey and Daryl Hance" however all of their tracks have 4- 5 other guys playing with them.

The problem is that these guys seem way too cool.  Really, the liner notes have an opening by JJ Grey that is the most genuine, thoughtful dedication I have ever read.

Are they really aliens??

Hantra

Anyone heard of Mofro?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2004, 08:57 pm »
Pizza Tapes . . . . . and it was only $3.99!!

:o Sacrilege!!!!  

I am going to check out Mofro just on principal b/c I like the name. .  ;-)

R_burke

Anyone heard of Mofro?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2004, 09:12 pm »
[Yes and no. According to the liner notes, "MOFRO is JJ Grey and Daryl Hance" however all of their tracks have 4- 5 other guys playing with them. ]

Based on the samples I guessed that they did a lot of overdubbing and/or had others playing with them.

MOFRO, styled as "Front Porch Soul" recorded on Swampland Records, the whole thing is just too cool, and I just found out they have an earlier CD entitled Blackwater

8thnerve

Anyone heard of Mofro?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2004, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
[Yes and no. According to the liner notes, "MOFRO is JJ Grey and Daryl Hance" however all of their tracks have 4- 5 other guys playing with them. ]

Based on the samples I guessed that they did a lot of overdubbing and/or had others playing with them.

MOFRO, styled as "Front Porch Soul" recorded on Swampland Records, the whole thing is just too cool, and I just found out they have an earlier CD entitled Blackwater

I'll buy Blackwater just based on how good Lochloosa is.  Word.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Anyone heard of Mofro?
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:12 am »
***BIG BUMP***

Folks, I'll tell ya what....I can't recall the last time I was able to connect to a musician like this one, or the last time I had the pleasure of hearing a musician that can FEEL IT, if you know what I mean.

Please, check this guy out. The wife and I are huge fans. This song seems to have the most feeling and soul it in it of anything they've recorded to date.
This fella and his band now have six albums and one DVD.

Check out this video...
Just a heads up, there's no flashy lights, no jumping around, and no sexy backup gals. This is it, right here, as far as I'm concerned.  :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1hV0cdExw

ok......one more.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6J-SBfMP5A

enjoy,
Bob

decal

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:02 am »
You really need to catch them live, great experience.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2013, 01:49 pm by decal »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:12 am »
Some very good albums.... :thumb:

Link for samples...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:43 pm »
You really need to catch them live, great experience.
I have, in fact. The wife and I saw him for New Years Eve two weeks ago. I shot a couple quick videos with a cheapy point and shoot camera.
Probably the worst videos ever published on Youtube.  :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B5s8A0SVbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Ky6UotK7Y

But yea, my videos don't do the man justice. It's a great show.
Bob

R_burke

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:51 pm »
I've seen them twice since this thread got started and have purchased every CD they have released   :thumb:

You might also like Scrapomatic and Eric Lindel they are both in a similar vein

decal

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2013, 03:04 pm »
Pick up the Brighter Days DVD to get a good dose of some live J.J. Grey and Mofro.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »
Mr. Burke, Yes, I've bought everything they own as well.  Between 6 CDs and 1 DVD, I have yet to find a song I don't like.
That "Brighter Days" DVD also has the concert CD as well. I think I paid like $20 for both on their website.

JJ Grey is one of the VERY few musicians I like that my wife likes as well. She thinks most of my music is weird.  :lol:
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:32 am »
............. and have purchased every CD they have released   :thumb:

Their next album is due in April (or so I've heard).
Here's a live tune from it.

I'll check out the other folks you mentioned.  :thumb:
Bob